castor oil packs and fibroid degeneration

Posted , 8 users are following.

For the last 3 weeks i have been doing the castor packs. I've only done it 6 times, then my period came so I have now stopped. A day before my period started I had the most excurtiating pain in my stomach/back and not being to graphic my bum (really painful like i needed to do a big poo). For about 36 hrs I was cramping and bent over double with pain, very bloated like a ballon. My largest fibroid is 13cm and pushing towards the back. Anyone else had this type of pain or experience with castor oil packs and could this pain be fibroid degenration - really hope it is !

2 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

I have the same pain. However it's constant.
    • Posted

oh wow, i feel for you, i literally could not move was awful even for a short time. have you had a scan to see if there is any degeneration, or are you thinking its just the position of the fibroids
  • Posted

what have your bowel motions been like? I too have one compressing my rectum along with others in there but have just come out of hospital due to chronic constipation. I was told my poop is not being able to get past the fibroid and the longer it sits in the colon all the water is drawn out of the poop making it even harder to pass. I was being sick bent over with pain and bloated like a balloon. I found out a while ago about the fibroids and was told to take stool softer which I have done and am on Esmya too while I await hysterectomy, I am due back with the gyne on Monday. I came out of hospital yesterday after Iv fluids and two enemas felt fantastic after the second one the nurse said I looked like a different person. However after having a meal last night and a cup of tea this morning I'm feeling really sick again.

I did tell the nurses that I still felt stuff needed to leave me and a lot of pressure down there but I got discharged anyway!

I feel for you it's bloody horrible

Sara x

• Posted

Hi Sara, bowel movements  have been good on others days, so not sure what happened during that 36 hrs. i am due to start my 3rd course of Esmya while i decide if i want a hysterectomy. Really feel for you as know what the pain is like, hope your hysto comes soon !
  • Posted

Did you also have very heavy bleeding? I had similar pains when I had one degenerating, and was also nauseous and physically sick a couple of times, but I also had bouts of uncontrollable bleeding, not at exactly the same time as the pain, or accompanied by cramping, but just a flood of black blood (very unpleasant). I have never used it the castor oil packs btw.
    • Posted

I've not had any unexpected bleeding aside from my normal menstral cycle, which is always very heavy, flowing uncontrollable and with clots.
    • Posted

Hi, it wasn't deliberate, I think sometimes they outgrow their blood supply. Unlike when they just shrink, this degeneration seems to release toxins which cause the pain. At the moment I am trying to keep my fibroids from growing back by using supplements such as DIM and curcumin, and cutting down on dairy foods. Also eating licorice, which I read recently also can shrink them. Fingers crossed a month after last Esmya course and I cannot feel any lumps!
  • Posted

I'm so glad you wrote this. The first time I tried the Castor Oil packs, the same thing happened to me. I was given the suggestion to use them by a herbalist/accupuncurist, who specialized in women's health issues. After using it with a hot water bottle, I think it was either the next day or maybe a few hours later, I had a bout with cramps and pain. Then I later had the feeling of full bowels. I stuck it out until my period started. At that point the pain became a bit more intense. It kinda scared me. I didn't know what was happening and I was afraid it was making things worse. The next month, for whatever reason, I tried it again. I guess I just wanted to believe that it was going to work, and that what I felt before was a one time experience. But it happend again. The pain, cramps, and everything. Plus the moment I started using it, (5 days before my period was supposed to come) my period came faster and heavier. It happened within 2 or 3 days of using the castor oil packs. I stopped using them because of that. Especially since I'm also anemic. Now that I'm reading your post, I wish I had never stopped. Since it wasn't suggested by a traditional medical professional, I thought it was an adverse reaction. But maybe it was breaking down the fibroids. I wish that we could get a certified medical professional to tell us if this is ok to use or not. It sickens me to think that they don't want to research or validate Castor Oil packs, Milk Thistle, B6, Burdock, Dandelion, Turmeric or Indole-3 Carbinol as a way to shrink fibroids, because that would lessen the number of surgeries and invasive treatments they could recommend as the best, or only solution. These natural possible solutions have been repeatedly recommended to me by different natropaths and holistic health care professionals. And it's almost always these same natural solutions. If we could get confirmation, and/or validation from traditional doctors and scientist, that would make the attempts to use natural solutions like these less scary. But this post has made me want to revisit these options again. Thank you for sharing your experience. I deeply appreciate it.
    • Posted

hi, thanks for commenting also. I am slightly afriad to start them again now that my period has ended. Like you i am also anemic and the heavy bleeding i have has been the same for years so do not think the castor oil caused the heavy bleeding. What was scary was the pain before my period, but it is good to hear that they have been recommended to you by holistic professionals.
  • Posted

Hi I see my dr today he gave tablets to stop my back pain n periods he send me for scan and I got huge fibroid attached to my womb now he say hysterectomy tablets is helping I must get appointment for gynecology what dies the castor oil packs help

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.