Cataract post-op eye problems with styes

Posted , 5 users are following.

I had first cataract surgery 3/1/16 and second 4/3/16.  I am still having problems with blepharitis, chalazion (dr. Described it commonly known as stye) especially on the first eye.  3 days ago I was in her office and she manually squeezed  infection about 4 times.  Painful.  Said I was just predisposed to have this problem, and I would have to continue the lid scrubs which I had been doing, plus the dry compresses 8 to 10 times DAILY, that the surgery did not cause the condition.  I told her I am 73 and have never had a stye.  Then she suggested it could have been caused by all the post op meds.  Can anyone give me hope from experience?  

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I did not have this problem.   I did have other side effects from all of the post op drops, but none were related to my eyes.
  • Posted

They tend to happen if you are a bit run down and infection can be transmitted from one eye to the other.

I didn't have them after my cataract surgeries two years ago but recently had two on one eye and one on the other over the past six months. I had not had one since mty teenage years when I had then frequently and now I'm 8.

• Posted

For 8 read 81. Must have had something in my eye:-)

• Posted

I think you are confusing 'causation' with 'correlation'.
  • Posted

For blepharitis and styles, old dfashioned remedy:  Wash Hair daily. Ue Johnson 'baby shampoo and take Q-tips into the shower with you and scrub eyelids at same time. Worked for me for 40 years. tip gotten from an old fashioned doctor. You wouldn't believe how much junk from our hair gets in our eyes and causes problems.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.