Catheter care

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hello,

I'm going to have the HIFU procedure next week. (I'm a little apprehensive of both the procedure AND the recovery). I was told I would have a catheter for 5 or more days. The time duration will be determined by how the HIFU procedure goes. I have seen some comments from time to time on here about how to care for a catheter to make it more comfortable for the duration of time it is in. I can certainly try to go back and find those helpful suggestions but if those with experience wouldn't mind reposting in this discussion it would be helpful and appreciated. Thanks.

0 likes, 29 replies

29 Replies

Next
  • Posted

ES, 

I had a Foley catheter in and out for 5 weeks and had no issues. I kept it constantly lubricated with Neosporin - antibiotic and lubricant. Also, I used the little butterfly tapes that the nurse gave me to keep the drain tube taped to my leg so it didn't move around. Also, I padded my underwear so, again, the tube didn't move around - it laid on its side. After the first few days it became almost routine. I slept well because the bladder constantly drained into the leg bag, so never needed to get up to go to the bathroom. The bag can get heavy and tug, so keep it drained. Some people get infections, but that is why I kept a generous amount of Neosporin on the insert tube and penis tip.

Best of luck to you,

Tom

• Posted

Thanks Tom. That's the kind of information I was looking for. What/how did you pad your underwear? I usually wear boxer so might not be applicable for me or may I need to switch to tighty whitey so not so much movement.

• Posted

Thanks Tom. That's the kind of information I was looking for. What/how did you pad your underwear? I usually wear boxer so might not be applicable for me or may I need to switch to tighty whitey so not so much movement.

• Posted

Yes, tighty whitey is the way to go. I find Y Fronts best as I can feed the tube through the fly and the angle of the opening holds it in place and stops the drag of the tube.
    • Posted

ES,

You will have to switch over to briefs for a week. The padding was just multiple layers of soft toilet tissue. The whole point is to keep the tube from wiggling around. For the first couple of days you will feel some irritation because your tissues are not used to having the tube in place. But, then the irritation goes away - the tissues toughen up a bit. 

The entire experience was much easier than I was expecting. If, after a week, you still have prostate tissue swelling, you might have to have a second catheter put in, but eventually you will be able to urinate on your own and from that point forward it just gets easier.

Tom

• Posted

Mine was in for just under a week. I had no real problems with it as long as I washed the tube and the tip of my penis often. I think Tom's tip of using Neosporin is great advice. Keep the tube secured to your leg so as not to pull on it while moving around. And be sure there is a bit of slack in it for the same reason. Good luck. 

John

• Posted

Hello  I just read a artical on this and it said that the catheter is in for 5 day at the most.  It is just a safe way for you to go to the bathroom.  Because they want the  tissue to heal.  I am glad you have this done instead of haveing your prostate cut away at.  Take care you willo bhe fine  Ken  
  • Posted

Thanks for your answers and support. I plan to post everyday starting on Monday and through the first week on my experience. I hope it will help others who are considering HIFU as a possible option so they will know what to expect. Then I will probably post weekly or when something significant occurs.
    • Posted

Hi ES its carolyn

you willbe fine with catheter ...

George ok.. HIFU ... Still bleeding slightly 7 weeks into recovery.. Has had ups  and downs ..Do not do heavy lifting or pushing or pulling after HIFU as this can make bleeding  worse.. George on blood thinners Antigoagulant so it's worse.. I wish you all the luck..keep us posted..

writing on this site is bad at times..

love and wishes..

carolyn

• Posted

Hey Carolyn,

Good to hear from you. I hope you don't mind my asking (and don't feel like you must answer) but was wondering if George was or is experiencing incontinences or ED issues? (If so, has there been any improvement)?

Sorry to ask, just want to know what I'm in for.

Thanks.

• Posted

Hi ES 

no incontinences... As far as ED not sure yet as George was on Biculmamide a cancer drug to put prostate cancer to sleep while he was waiting for HIFU as he has a blood clot on bottom of lung...this drug is still in his system as it stops testrosatone the male hormone .... This drug takes at least 2-3 months to get out of his system....he does keep on talking abt it though but at moment still a little limp for the want of a better word..but all in good time...but I'm sure you will ok ...like I said no heavy lifting pulling or pushing as this will set you back ...as it did George made the bleeding worse, but it's has improved..

regards and all the best for HIFU.. Keep us posted

• Posted

Hi again Es

just want to say George urine flow the stream is good ...no problems with that..just normal

regards

• Posted

It's just occurred to me that there has been a fair amount of talk lately about the problems of wearing a foley catheter and all it's kit. Nobody has mentioned the following two points that I think everyone should insist on.

1. You should also wear elasticated mesh pants, a bit like a large hair-net !! I think they come in a few suitable sizes and are used to hold the tubing in such a way that it does not move and irritate the penis. The tubing should come out of the waistband and then be clamped to your upper thigh with elastic velcro straps.

2. All tubing should be interrupted a few inches outside the penis with an actual plastic tap. This enables complete removal of the longer tubing and bags whenever it seems feasible to do so for a reasonable short period of time. This encourages the bladder not to forget it's duties and keeps it to as much normal sensation as possible. As long as it does not cause leakage at any rate.

• Posted

Don't let them blow the balloon which holds the catheter in too much as it can make it very sore when bending and moving about. Make certain if on NHS that the hospital inform your local District Nurse that you have a catheter and you get their number in case you have a blockage day or night.

• Posted

Good discussion, ES.  Hospital Emergancy inserted mine due to lateness of the day and I wore leg bag for several weeks during which I dug some trenches for drain tile for my new home with no issues.  Tighty whities allow more space for leg bag. I remember having leg bag folded in half to keep more secure - but less capacity.  Meds are keeping me going for now.  Good luck with your HIFU. Let us know how it goes. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.