Catheter Causing Bladder Neck Irritation

Posted , 3 users are following.

This has kept me up all night. I'm only using a F12

Everyone experiences that little discomfort when it goes into the bladder, but it seems to really irritate it and stay like that all night. I won't use a cath tonight and hope it will go away.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

It's not unusual for irritation, pain, blood and other types of discomfort fot the first few weeks of self catherization. However, if the pain is so sharp that it's keeping you up all night you might want to contact your doctor and get their opinion. Are you forcing the catheter in, or does it go in fairly easily? You must be gentle, and then even more gentle in your technique. It also sounds like you should go back to the Speedicaths that you liked when you were given a sample. 

Jim

• Posted

Jim,

yea, it's all kind of complicated now. I don't want to call them up to re-order another kind now. It'll probably involved phone calls,etc with insurance all over again and i doubt they'd cover me for another order within same month. I think the best thing to do at this point is to just put a dab of lube on it nearer the end and wait till next month to try the speedicaths...if they have those. These hydro's really suck..within less than a min, it's hard to get in..you can see it's already dried up. And feel it by the fact when i pull OUT, it's really dragging.  What the Hell are they thinking!

• Posted

I'd still check with manufacturer to make sure extra lube is compatible with whatever they use for a coating. But in any event, you should know that regular (non-hydrophillic) catheters use water soluable lube. You do not want to use something like vaseline. Maybe you can get a regular catheter and lube it. 

Jim

• Posted

OR, just dont' break open the hydro packet, then lube it (i have lube made for caths)
  • Posted

Pat,

I'm fairly new to CIC and have been trying out Speedicath FR14s and LoFric Origo FR14s. Both catheters work for me, but for my anatomy the LoFric Origno passes through the bladder sphincter much more easily, and with greater comfort.

At first I didn't like the Origo because it comes with a sleeve to help you guide it in, and I found the sleeve awkward to use. Now I take the sleeve off, and insert the cateter using the funnel. That way I'm not touching the catheter tube.

Ordered the wrong size of catheter for my 1st order, and have been in the process of reordering. The supply company says no problem. They will credit me for the ones I return. My insurance company says no authorization # is needed. Yes, it took some phone calls, but comfortable CICing is worth the effort. Like you I thought I'd put up with the wrong catheters until my next order, but I found myself dreading each CIC.

With my order of the wrong size--Speedicath FR16s--I experienced a lot of pain inserting and pulling out. Several times the catheter seemed to be glued in, and it took some gentle twisting to get it out, which hurt a lot. Recently after I pulled one of those catheters out, I carefully inspected the tip and found a sticky substance--thought it might be mucus. I called the Coloplast factory rep, and she said it sounded like a manufacturing defect. Now I carefully inspect catheter tips to see if that gunk is there before CICing. If it's not there, I usually don't have a problem.

Also, my urology nurse told me not to twist the catheter when I reach the bladder sphincter. She said to focus on deep relaxing breathing while applying gentle pressure. And to pull back slightly to relieve pressure--then to gently push forward. Sometimes I have to do this a few times, but when the sphincter relaxes, I can push on in without pain. Sometimes a cough will get me through, too.

Stebrunner

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.