catheter insertion

Posted , 3 users are following.

i have to have it once a week for chemo to go in the bladder and the first one was really painfull i was really hurting is there anything i can do to releive the pain please

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

• Posted

Are you talking of self catherization or the insertion of a Foley that stays in for several days?

Jim

• Posted

jim it is in then the chemo is oput in then its taken out again

its ok with the chemo going in and coming out its just the pain of the catheter going in

• Posted

Hi Michael,

If you're not using a hydrophillic catheter, you might try that. They are super slippery and therefore less trauma. The one a lot of us like is the Coloplast Speedicath. 

Technique also helps. More details in the self cathing threads, but you want to gently pull your penis out and up to straighten out the urethra while being careful not to compress it.  

Also, what size are you using? FR14 should be big enough to get your meds down as I have used it for irrigation purposes. Even an FR12 should work.

Lastly, since you're only doing this 5 times, ask your doc about Pyridium. It might take care of your pain.

Jim

• Posted

jim thanks for the reply the hospital are doing the catheter so ive no control over it
    • Posted

Ahh...I was wondering why they would have someone with no cath experience administer chemo drugs smile Who is doing the insertion? Some hospitals have special catheter insertion teams who do a better job than your average doctor or nurse. Can't hurt to ask. But in any event, do tell whoever does it what happened last time and hopefully they will be more gentle and/or use a numbing agent.

Jim

• Posted

jim they are using a self lubricated one which i think might be the problem as i had a injection of numbing gell before with a cyscotopy they are proper urology nurses were i go
    • Posted

If I understand you correctly, the numbing gel with the cystocopy worked. If so, I would ask the urology nurses to use the same gel and switch to a compatble catheter if the catheter they are using now can't be used with that gel. Also, depending on what hospital you are having the procedure done at, special catheter teams I believe are different from urology nurses and have additional training and experience. Something you could ask your doctor. 

Jim

• Posted

james as much as would like i cant ask nurses to do that they treat veryone the same so im gonna have to put up with it thenks for being there james much appreiciated

its not certain that the chemo will work m8 so it might not mastter how many treatments i have

• Posted

Hi Michael,

Happy to be of any help now or later and best of luck with your treatment. Shame the nurses aren't that flexible. Where are you located if I may ask?

Jim

• Posted

hi jim i feel i know you now haha i live in aylesbury but have my treatment in high wycombe you have been like a source of help to me and its much appreciated

i got another 5 to go i missed 2 because of the pain but i got to go tuesday and i got in touch with a hypnotist to help me haha

• Posted

Hi Michael,

Thanks for the nice words. I live in the States and I believe the nurses here have more flexiblity in terms of treatment protocols not to say it's anything like perfect here! Maybe have the nurses hypnotized instead smile

Jim

• Posted

jim my latest catheter was a breeze i had a different nurse and she used anestetic gel before the procedure no pain hardly at all plus i took a diazepam tablet
    • Posted

Michael,

Glad things worked out so well this time! 

Sometimes a better set of hands makes a difference, or maybe it was the gel, diazepam, your body adjusting, or a combination. Was the diazepam (valium) your idea or theirs? I wouldn't recommend it on a daily basis but in your case where you only cath once a week the diazepam seems like a very good call. 

If you can't  get the same nurse next time, insist on the gel and dizepam now that a precedent has been established. 

Are you on antibiotics at all? Just keep an eye out for any signs of infection as UTI's are associated with catheters, especially in the hospital environment. 

Jim 

• Posted

jim thanks for that i cant have antibiotics with the treatment and the diazepam was brilliant and the nurse hopefully the next one will be the same i had 2 utis but not this time
  • Posted

Hi Michael, yes there is something you can do whichc might help to reduce the pain. Your body does not like a catheter poked down your urethra so it reacts by tightening up or going ino spasms resulting in pain.

Try and oppose the sensation of the catheter passing in by bearing down as though to pee. It works for me so, with a bit of luck, the tecnique will work for you.

If the treatment is to continue for any length of time, don't panic!  Your body can become accustomed to the procedure and the pain will reduce accordingly.

Good luck!

• Posted

alan thanks for that it really hurt the first time and i have 5 more to go it was so painfull i was gripping the bed and sweating i cudnt stand the pain i cant see how i can do the other 5 but i need to for chemo of the bladder it is making me ill with worry i have tried a tramadol tablet before the treatment and that made me ill

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.