Causes of constipation

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi.  I'm a healthy eater, and monitor my food closely.  I've eaten this way for the past several years.  I've noticed two things that definitely contribute to constipation for me:

1.  Eating too much fat.  I have to keep my fat intake at a low to moderate level if I want to stay regular.  Olive oil seems to be especially troublesome.  It really slows digestion.  But I still consume it, in small amounts, because it has a lot of other healthy properties.

2.  Not eating enough food.  When I restrict my calories too much, I end up getting constipated.

I hope this helps some of you.  Good luck.  smile

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Very interesting ,I have a friend who needs every day bacon and lard to go out . This shows us how different we are .But I did hear of somebody else who said the same as you .
  • Posted

Hi

​We are all very different as, having avoided all sorts of oil for over 20 years (and having chronic constipation for the whole time),  my other half suggested that we introduce oil back into my diet to see if that had any effect.....which it did (along with prune juice and porridge).  I no longer need to use enemas, and only very infrequently suppositories, as I go naturally each day.

• Posted

Hi ,Janie ,could you tell me pls when do you drink prune juice ?And how much porridge you have usally ? And theoil you just add to your meals or drink it on an empty stomach? Thank you .

• Posted

Hi

​I have a sherry glass of prune juice when I get up, and once I'm up and dressed I make some jumbo oats porridge (make sure you cook it for a long time: 8 minutes or so) and add a LOT of water.  That seems to work the best - make sure you don't use small porridge oats, or not put enough water into it, as that has the opposite effect to the one I think you want!

​I also put a lot of olive oil onto salads - salad also seems to work well as long as it has oil/ dressing on it.  I had a big worry that I would put on a lot of weight by adding oil to salads, and using it where it's meant to be used, but that is not the case and I've followed this amended routine for over a year.

• Posted

Thank you very much .You see ,I really had this impression that oatmeal makes me even more constipated . So you just open my eyes now. I have to look for those jumbo oats smileBut you put milk on porridge when is done ,do you?

. I use olive oil in salads too ,but I never used more then 1 TBsp on the family salad .I think I need to put more.Thank you again .

• Posted

I used to put milk on the porridge, and that was fine, but now I mix it with mashed banana, a reconstituted dried apricot and some cream so that makes it taste rather special even without milk.
    • Posted

That sounds delicious

I will try it too but it was a time when banana made me constipated and now I am afraid to eat it.

• Posted

Only half a banana, and mashed up - but you can always leave that out
  • Posted

i can't figure out this constipation thing! i've had it about 2yrs now. i use a smoothie(in ice tray (green apple, frozen spinach, carrot and any other remedies like a bit of frozen ginger), one cube in evening that works a treat, Miralax as a back up and black coffee in morning.

always ate healthy, growing up my mum always had healthy lunches so i carried it on in my life. i got this in my late 40s. always been active.

when i get bloated i do exercises. Pilates weekly, Zumba just started x1 a month. when i was bad about a yr ago i couldnt understand this so heavily went into KeepFit - Zumba x2 day for months then noticed nothing happening, that was disheartening.

i'm still into keepfit but i guess now its what foods....

i eat a lot of fruit, rice cakes, knackerbrot,mackerel... jog/walk to work uphill. still midsection fat. i don't get it.

anyone else have this and have advice?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.