CCG refused funding, will appeal change the decision

Posted , 2 users are following.

My wife has been going through the process of getting funding for a minor plastic surgery op to correct a scar that is causing her great pain. The CCG panel requested that my wife see a consultant to explore treatment options and gave funding for the consultation. The consultant wrote back to the CCG with the best/cheapest option . the final decision from the CCG now is no funding at all. Can anybody make sense of why they would do this.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hello. Unfortunately it is getting increasingly difficult to get NHS funding for procedures that the CCG classify as cosmetic. That includes scar revisions. Some scars can be treated with steroid injections and that is not restricted. I assume they were happy for alternative treatments to go ahead but not for surgery. There might be an appeals process and your GP can assist you with that. I wouldn't raise my hopes to much however. BW
    • Posted

Because the scar is causing pain the funding came under reconstructive surgery, this surgery funding was never to make things look better, the referal stated clearly that it was to stop pain. Just to explain..after 3 years of weight loss my wife has loose skin. 8 months ago she had to have an op to correct a twisted bowel and the surgeon did a 7 inch stitch down her abdominal. She has 2-3kgs of loose tummy skin hanging from the scar and its causing a lot of pain. She had go and 2 consultant letters all recommending plastic surgery. We don't understand why they explored surgical options and when given one they pulled completely with a right to appeal.
    • Posted

This might be partially due to the serious financial shortfall the NHS is currently facing. As clinicians we are often struggling to get deserving cases through. The CCGs are not medical experts but budget holders. If there is an error in their reasoning you might have a chance to appeal.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.