Cdiff infection leaves me with these symptoms, IBS/IBD?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi, I'm a 24 year old female and have been suffering from severe bowel problems for about 7 months ago.

Firstly: June 15 I was diagnosed with a neurological problem that subsequently left me unable to pass water on my own, I was fitted with an indwelling catheter. Due this foreign body I ended up having constant kidney/bladder infections, I'd say I was on antibiotics continuously for 4 months.

Sept 15 I fell seriously ill with sickness & diarrhoea, 15-20 bouts per day, blood and mucous in the stool, terrible tummy aches etc. I knew there was something up but everytime I went to my GP they would just say it was only a bug and to go home and rest. 3 weeks went by and I had stop eating, struggled to sleep more than an hour at a time and was getting worse, I tried going out for some fresh air but I passed out and my partner had to phone an ambulance for me. I was put on drips due to dehydration and low potassium but again no stool cultures were taken. 7 weeks go by, I've lost just under 2 stone in weight and was rushed back up to A&E with severe tummy pains, they finally done stool tests and it came back positive for cdiff (clostridium difficile) I was put on vancomycin for 3 weeks but then relapsed again Jan 16 so was put on flagyl for a further 2 weeks.

However my digestive system has never been the same, my Dr initially said it was IBS, but shes not sure anymore due to the amount of diarrhoea I'm having. My symptoms are:

ANY food triggers an onset of diarrhoea within half an hour of eating. This could be a nibble of something or a full meal, makes no difference.

I have about 5-7 bouts of diarrhoea per day

Bad tummy pains

I also have a dragging like feeling as if I can feel food/stool move through my body (that's what it feels like to me anyway)

Blood and mucous in my stool, everytime.

My symptoms are worse in the morning and afternoon, I'd say my stomach begins to settle around 5-6pm

I get dizzy but in my opinion that's due to me not eating enough, it's a vicious cycle though!

I can't focus when I'm like this, I can't work, I can't continue with my education, I just need to find something that's going to help. I've tried lots of different anti diarrhoeal medicines, none of them make any difference. Do you think my symptoms add up to a diagnosis of IBS? Or do you think the cdiff has caused lasting damage?

My next term starts in august and I'm really wanting to go back (I had to drop out bc of this) I of course want a proper diagnosis but for now I just want something to help me be normal again.

I'm going for an XRAY today as I had tracers put in my body and this will show the transit time and if there is a blockage anywhere, I'm also due to go for a sigmoidoscopy in a couple of weeks.

Thanks for listening x

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

You sound as though you're having a grim time of it - I sympathise. I was diagonsed with IBS about 7 months ago, although my symptoms started about 18 months ago and coincided with a change in medication for high blood pressure. I'm convinced it was triggered by the medication. Like you, I experienced very frequent diarrhoea, always occurring after eating, and it reached the point where, if I had to travel or go out somewhere, I just wouldn't eat in case I couldn't reach a loo in time. I also experienced lots of bloating, flatulence, nausea, dizziness and a constant nagging ache in my right side, almost like a "stitch". IBS was diagonosed after a lot of tests, including a colonoscopy, all which showed up nothing untoward. My GP recommended the Low FODMAP diet and I am 99% better now. I still get the occasional flare up, but they rarely last more than a few days. The diet doesn't work for everyone so I count myself lucky that I am one of the 70% it does help. I discovered that gluten, onions and mushrooms are the main triggers for me- despite never having had a problem eating those before. I'm not a medic but it does sound as if the c.diff might have started your problems off, possibly leading to IBS. 

Whilst there isn't a cure for IBS - and stress and anxiety ( caused by not knowing what is wrong with you) undoubtedly exacerbate the condition, if my experience is anything to go by, it certainly can be managed and controlled to a point where you can get your life back. 

Good luck and do let us know how you get on. 

Jan

• Posted

Thanks Jan!

I know, it's so frustrating. Ive tried lots of different diets but as far as I can see, nothing in particular is triggering my symptoms, I just happens after I eat. But I do the same as you, if I'm going out I just avoid eating so I'm not worried about where the toilets are.

I know the the balance of the flora in my gut will be unbalanced due to the cdiff so I wonder if it's still trying to get back to normal hence the ongoing symptoms. I had my xray today for the colonic studies and I've to go see my gp next week for the results. I'll keep you updated ☺

• Posted

Emma, have you tried to take probiotic and vitamine supplements. You also should eliminate the food that cause trigger. May be a food diary will help. I have IBS but not as bad. I will go for colonosopy next week. My symptoms is cramp in lower abdomen and diarhear. I went for an Xray of gallstone but showing my gallbladder is good so the GP recommend for colonoscopy. Just cross finger that I will be Ok.  I hope it will help and not to worry so much do not skip the meal. Eat normal but do not eat something make hard digest.  Some legumes like brocholi, cucumber, cabbage or all sort of beans, all sort of nuts or seeds. Eat poultry and beef and pork. Dont eat tooo much raw vege which is hard to digest. Eat slowly and take time to eat. Listen to music etc... to relax yourself. Health is more improtant than achievement. Best of luck.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.