Cervical radiculopathy, had surgery and PT, still in pain

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello, I have been in pain every day for more than a year. I had buristis in my right shoulder, mostly the deltoid muscle for two years prior to being diagnosed with cervical radiculopathy. I was working at a desk for about 7 months when my right shoulder got worse, then I was getting headaches in the back of my head behind my ears. My head hurt when I stood up and my neck was tingling on and off. My fingers were stiff when I drove. I started getting pain in my left shoulder top of arm to elbow, mostly my deltoid muscle.. The pain burns , I had shooting pain also. Lifting or pulling or pushing anything became an issue for me. I went to the doctor and after some x-rays and cat-scan, an MRI revealed I had a herniated disc in my neck (C-5. C-6)) that was pinching my nerves , and pressing on my spine. An EMG also suggested pinched nerve and carpal tunnel. By the way, the EMG was uncomfortable. I had a about 4 months of pysical therapy and saw pain management, and then an ortho surgeon who suggested I get artificial disc replacement surgery.  Some days the pain is so bad (even with taking Norco, Gabapentin, Flexeril) that I cry because I think this will be my life, nerve pain for life? Everyone keeps saying the nerves will take time to heal. The surgery went well it seemed. I knew I wouldn't be better right away, but it seemed after a couple months, I had less pain. I also went back to pysical therapy for a few more months. It seemed when I went, I had more pain. I am taking walks three days a week. Since the surgery, 5 months ago, I have neck pain that i didn't have before. It doesn't hurt every day, usually if I drive too long or sit too long. What hurts every day are my deltoids. I still have nerve pain. Aspercreme with Lidocane takes the edge off. Since the surgery neck pain I didn't have before, no more tingling of my neck, less headaches in the back of my head and less head hurting when I stand up. My deltoid muscles are the biggest issue for me. They hurt alot.  I cannot work right now, most jobs require sitting, or lifting, pushing or pulling. I probably would qualify for permanent disability but I want to work. So , I am currently taking Saturday classes at a local college to be a real estate agent.It is an all day class, there are breaks, but I have neck pain and arm pain during class.  I always enjoyed looking at houses and watching HGTV. I figure with that type of job, it shouldn't aggrevate my nerves too much. Anyone else suffering with nerve pain? What helps you ? Is there any hope to be able to use my arms again without pain? Thanks. 

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I also had 2 steroid epidural shots a couple of months apart before my surgery. The first shot, gave me one day with NO pain, The second shot did nothing to help. 
    • Posted

Dear Jennifer..First..new career sounds like wonderful idea! I, too..have nerve pain, in my back from 2 herniations, and from a rare disease called Erythromalgia, which has affected my feet and lower legs..and now is presenting in my hands and forearms. There is no cure. I take 4 Gabapentin a day..sometimes more, Tramadol. .and narcotics at times. I know what you mean abt physical therapy making you feel worse..I think seeing they can't feel your,pain..they push too hard. Always know you can tell them it's too much.
  • Posted

Hello jennifer, I also suffer with nerve pain except mine is in my knee caused from lots of surgery, and sometimes i get it in my jaw on one side. I take 3 x 300 mg of gaberpentin a day and 2 x 500 mg of naproxen and 10 mg of amitriptyline at night which helps the nerves relax. My pain as greatly reduced in the last couple of months. Different things work for different people. 

I hope you can find some relief and the right treatment soon.

Best wishes.

Elizabeth.

• Posted

thanks ladies for your input. Sorry for you pain. Nerve pain sucks and not many people understand what we are going through. It helps to talk to other situations. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.