cervical spondylosis

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi Coulkd anyone tell me if they sufferdizziness and fainting spells with this condition ..Joyce x

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Hi Joyce, the experts must be off line at present.  Welcome anyway.  I am a newbie and was diagnosed with PMR November there.  I was put on 20mg of pred (steroid) you don't state what medication you are on, if any.  I have no medical background but other on this site do.  You will get all the info, support and advice here, they are a great bunch and they really do care, so hang on in.   Good luck on your journey.  Pat
    • Posted

Hi Pat thank you so much for your reply..

I take 5mg of prednisone every day( I have rheumatoid arthritis) I also take oramorph 10 mls every 4 hours  daily for recent back surgery (spinal Fusion ). I get Rituxamab I nfusions every 6 months for the RA

Thanks again Pat

• Posted

Hi Joyce, hope you got a wee bit sorted out today.  I will keep you in mind when I say my wee prayer tonight.  Keep using the forum Joyce and check in when you can.  There is always someone knocking about.  You will get the support you need and information and advice.  People on this forum always have time for fellow sufferers.    Pat
  • Posted

Hi Joyce!  I had dizzy and fainting spells some months ago and after a very public fainting session was rushed into hospital.  They did every imagineable test but could find nothing basically wrong.  I was released after a week and I came to the conclusion myself that it was pobably old age (I'm 75!).  I've been OK since then, but still get dizzy occasionally.  If you don't mind me asking - how old are you?

Good luck!  Constance

• Posted

Hi Constance I am 67 yrs old... I have had Rheumatoid arthritis for 35 yrs. I recently had a spinal fusion done on my lower spine

I have had heart tests... blood pressure tests done  for the dizziness and fainting spells and they all came back ok

Joyce

• Posted

Poor you!  RA as well!  The joys of getting old?!!!  Still, it's better than the alternative!
  • Posted

Hi Joyce

Yes.  Occasional dizzyness or fainting can occur with C/S.  It usually results from vascular compression   i.e.  a pinching of the arterial blood flow to the brain,  thus reducing the amount of oxygen supply to brain.  Mostly, it should just pass quickly,  but worth mentioning to your GP because it can sometimes indicate a vulnerability to stroke.  I've had it several times, over a few years,  usually lasting about 20 to 30 seconds,  but it passes.  It maybe connected with a particular turning of the neck,  and different for each person depending on severity of C/S.  With me,  it's never a full faint....just a sense of loss of power,  and I have to steady myself until it passes.  If it were to happen a few times in quick succession,  or the fainting got more serious,  I would tell my GP about it.

• Posted

Hi Gary

Thank you so much for your reply.I have actually just came in from seeing my rheumatologist and that is exactly what he told me was happening with my neck.

I really appreciate your answer.I feel better knowing I am not the only one its happening to .Did they ever check out your aterial blood flow to the brain. I have never ever fully fainted thank goodness 

Joyce x

• Posted

Hi Joyce

Seems they can't really predict whether it might happen,  and therefore any interventions are reserved for after the event.  The vascular restriction only happens with certain movement or manipulations of the neck....osteopathic deep massages etc are currently under scrutiny for inducing instances.  Perhaps the best way to control it is, next time it happens,  try and remember what particular movement or twisting of the neck may have kicked it off...usually looking upwards suddenly, or looking behind when driving etc.  If you slow down whatever movement causes it,  then the compression shouldn't happen.  I first got it after cervical neck traction at hospital years ago.  Lesson learned !   Now I feel confident that if I just stop and steady myself,  it passes quickly.  Only happens about 5 or 6 times a year.  A full faint would warrant a visit to A&E, because of the stroke risk.  It's probably more likely with anyone who has had a previous neck injury,  and a vulnerability already exists which is exacerbated with the C/S.

• Posted

Thanks for the info Gerry.... I know mine is worse when I have to look up and turn my heard to far around .Yes I think a full faint would warrent a visit to the A&E .X
    • Posted

Hi Gerry I for got to mention I once had to go to A AND E cos I thought I had a stroke they done 2 scans of my brain CT &MRI blood tests etc;  they  all came back perfect .I went on a return appointment to see the doc who treated me when I was in hospital for it and he said my symptoms were not stroke related and said I didnt need to see him again . I asked if he thought it was from the CS and he said it could be xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.