cervical spondylosis and working

Posted , 4 users are following.

I Have really severe cervical spondylosis it affects my hips the whole of my left side and my shoulder blade sticks out I have it where my left leg gives way the pain in my head and neck i am due to have injections on 18th for pain im currantly on 2 lots of morphine I work as a support worker with people with autism but it's getting very difficult for me now what jobs do people do with cervical spondylosis which do not affect them I'm finding it hard to find one

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I am 72 this year and have had CS for about 30 years... It affects a great many things that I do and how I live my life... Several years ago I used to make Kombucha as a health drink... I gave up as I was too busy... Recently I started making it again and find it is really helping in every way... My neck, my left hip and my right knee. It also seems to completely stop the terrible migraines that stopped me sleeping... You can buy it ready made in Lidl stores, however it is best to make it yourself and costs next to nothing... Not completely cured but positively relieved...Look it up, I cannot post links on here...
    • Posted

Thank u roz i will look it up Have u ever had surgery for sc it took me a few months to come to turms with this as them said it not common in my age as I'm only 24 and I have never felt pain like it the amount of meds I'm on it got me so low as well my employers are being really unfair to me since I told them xx
  • Posted

I am angry now. My response to stacey91 has been restricted. There was no link. I just wanted to help someone and ease their pain... If my reply is not allowed I will leave this forum for good...
    • Posted

Hi rozI can give u my email address if that would help x
  • Posted

Hi stacey91,

Well that is an easy answer to give as far as the DWP are concerned. They will find that you are capable of many things when it comes to employment, and if all else fails they will recommend the "one handed empty box job". That is what was suggested to me when I started down the path of c/s and difficulty of working, five years ago.

If you are finding it difficult to work and have severe c/s as your post describes then you are going to have to reavalue your work and well being. It will get to a point where you are completely unable to do any manual labour, your bodily restrictions and pain will pull you down.

Obviously other members will give you cheery news, advising you to travel down another path and good luck to you if you can, but, your description of your conditions tell me otherwise. Unless and until you have corrective surgery which may or may not be successful it is difficult to see what you would be able to do in physical employment

• Posted

Hi Mike thank u for your reply have u had surgery and do u have to wait a long time to have it could I ask how old u were when u got diagnosed with CS cuz I'm only 24 and it's a massive thing to come to terms with when the hospital told me I thort they were joking I dident want to belive thwm it got me on a right low x
  • Posted

Hi stacy91,

I was 61 when c/s came knocking on my door. I was self employed and working as a decorator and builder and was very healthy and fit for my age. I fell off a ladder and disturbed the vertabrae in my neck, over time bone growths, osteophytes, started to grow and push into my spinal cord which is affecting my upper body and lately my legs too. I was offered an operation, and prepared myself for it three times, and each time it was cancelled at short notice. I have now put an operation on hold until I urgently need it, the Neurosurgeon was only giving me a 50/50 chance of success anyway. Last week I was diagnosed with malignant melanoma, thankfully stage 1. Have had two chunks cut out of my forearm so far, hope they have got it all out otherwise I hate to think whats next.

• Posted

Hiya stacey91

I'm new here and like you ,I have C/S , last time I had an MRI it

showed deterioration of C4, C5 and C6 , that was 6 yrs past and think it will be further damage.

Any way your post caught my attention due to the fact that before I was diagnosed I too worked as a Support Worker

with ppl with mental health and or physical disabilities, I got to the point that I couldn't assist the ppl with certain aspects of the

Work , like personal care, shopping or cooking and house work,

as I could hardly do these things for myself , due to the pain,

even walking from A-B was challenging, I got to the point where

I asked my manager for help and they put me on office duties, whilst I was being diagnosed, anyway to cut a tediously long story

short, I was made redundant due to my health, I now work in a

call centre , part time , my new employers have been fantastic

They have got me a special chair that supports my neck, don't

get me wrong , I'm still taking medication, a cocktail including 2 types of morphine, gabapentin, amitriptyline as well as an

antidepressant, I've been on these for about 6 yrs now, don't get me wrong I'm not pain free, I have chronic pain, but I can

manage, although of late my shoulder and neck have been

torture .C/S is very individual you just have to do what's best for you x

Hope to chat again x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.