Cervical Stenosis 3 Level ACDF

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi Folks,

I am a 41 year old male. Last week I was informed that I have extensive damage to C4 through to C7 and injections etc or of no use at this stage. I have been informed by my consultant I will need at least a 3 level decompression, discectomy and fusion. Is this level 3 a normal procedure in terms of fusions etc?

Secondly my consultant claims that there is also damage above C4 & below C7 with further MRI's required later this week commencing on my lumber area to see if there is further damage to the spine etc?

What can I expect of this is the case??? 

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

From what I hear they only fuse so much at a time ? But not sure if this is correct. MAny say fusion put extra stress on the rest of yr back . Ask yr consultant about wallis ligament spinal surgery this allows u to still have flexibility, if it's an option. Google it good luck , this is an option I am considering for my nxt operation rather than straight forward fusion

• Posted

i have never heard of it and I will look it up as an option. Thank you so much for your prompt reply. 
  • Posted

Have you gotten a second opinion?  It sounds like a major surgery and I would get a second opinion.  Just my thoughts.  
    • Posted

This is my second opinion, my last consultant said I should come back when I can no longer walk or function. It is a major surgery but I cant go on in pain. While I manage pain very well I no longer sleep much and find pain has increased considerably over the past 3 months to the extent I am sweating with pain by day and night. 
    • Posted

I'm glad you got the second opinion!  It sounds rough!  It sounds like you shouldn't wait.  I wish you the best of luck in your surgery and recovery!

• Posted

When you get to that stage your options are limited which in my opinion takes the liability off the doc if anything goes wrong, I would check out this new procedure and if it is an option but not in your area than I would ask to have it done where ever you can, fussion is awful so if you do have a choice do your research first, I don't personally know much about it but I have had a fussion and it's not nice, good luck and keep us updated 😊

• Posted

I'm fused L3-S1 and then developed the stenosis last October.  For me, nothing really worked so I need surgery.  My stenosis is foraminal...there is constricting (narrowing) of the foraminal canals between the vertebrae causing them to squeeze the nerves, hence the pain.  Doc has two choices...

1. Unzip me, remove all the hardware, clean everything out again and then fuse me L2-S1.  3-5 days in the hospital, months of rehab...or...

2. Go in THROUGH MY SIDE and insert a new kind of "spacer" at L2-L3.  Once inserted, they just "crank" the spacer (with a surgical allen key) and it EXPANDS the foraminal canal, relieving all the pressure on the nerve.  Overnight hospital stay...zero rehab...instant pain relief...permanent fix.  To do this, the neurosurgeon needs the assistance of a general surgeon to get into my side and clear a path to the spine.

I'd check it out.  My surgery is scheduled for March 24...can't wait...

• Posted

I was going to have a 3-level fusion in 2015 but the doc did four (L3-S1).  Seems that weakened vertebrae above/below the fusion will only get worse over time so my doc decided on four levels to proactively include L3.  Now I have stenosis in L2/L3.  Luckily, he doesn't have to remove everything and fuse L2-S1.  New EXPANDABLE spacer inserted at L2/L3 will open up the foraminal canal and relieve all the pressure on the nerves bilaterally.  Overnight stay...no rehab...instant pain relief...permanent fix.  But then again, that's after I had the original fusion.

In your case, your doc will need to fuse whatever he needs to...maybe go to level 4 just to preclude a foreseeable problem.  After that, you may need these spacers or more work above or below the fusion if your spine deteriorates any more.

• Edited

Hi Derek, I was 41 when I had my c3-c7 ACDF sx 2 yrs ago. Fusion, discectomy with hardware. It was a breeze compared to my lumbar sx l3-s1 PLIF in April of 2016. With my cervical sx I had years of headaches and tension, stenosis, etc. if you are experiencing pain or weakness/numbness I would have surgery to repair it. I've had over 30 injections for cervical and lumbar over the past 4 years and none of them worked. Surgery was my only option in order to repair the weakness, numbness, nerve compression etc. that I was experiencing.  It's not uncommon for the neuro sx to do the level above or below  if it shows any sign of deterioration because it will put added pressure on that disc once you have hardware and you are fused. Did they do any emg's? Nerve conduction? Or a discogram? I had all those tests performed before both of my procedures along with numerous MRI's. 

Out of the 2 surgeries cervical vs lumbar, the cervical is much easier in terms of recovery and pain, in my opinion. 

'Good luck 

• Edited

I had a 3 level procedure 8 days go. C4-C7. The surgery took approximately 4 hrs.

I also have lupus and RA, so the pain is exacerbated because of these other diseases...and, for me, the pain is absolutely crushing!

I'm surprised that 90% of the pain is located in my shoulders and upper back. You'll need someone to assist you. Make sure you have a quality heating pad. You'll need to prepare a selection of soft foods like mashed potatoes, soups, and yogurt smoothies. Your throat will be very sore! The

first week is rough. ROUGH.

My pain level was a solid"10"

I wish you the best of luck!

Follow the protocol from your surgeon, and be patient! This is major surgery and it's going to take time, in order to heal!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.