Cervix lump , growth scared, panic. Colposcopy. Should I worry.

Posted , 2 users are following.

I had the coil fitted 6 weeks ago and at the time the consultant asked if I had any surgery on my cervix. I said no but pointed out that I had a large polyp that was cut away from wherever it was when I gave birth 4 years ago. Nothing more was said.

I wasn't getting on with the coil so I had it removed and the nurse mentioned it then and said she isn't overly concerned but would like me to see a doctor. I've had a feel and it feels gristle like, it is smooth and it is around the outside of the donut bottom part of the cervix. It feels about 1cm but it's like its part of my cervix. I went and she said she doesn't know but would like to refer me to the hospital for a colposcopy. I'm petrified. I can't sleep. I'm so scared. I'm constantly breaking down crying. Feels surreal as I've had no pain or bleeding after sex. beside myself with worry. I'm 37 BTW. Any advice? Hoping for a cyst. Or polyp returning but I thought a polyp is soft like a skin tag.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

kp1979 a cyst would generally be a little painful. A polyp would not - not sure if they are always tag like and soft though. It could be plain scar tissue (although my gyn insists that cervix does not make scar tissue biggrin Whatever it is I would not panic. Maybe think of it this way: it is your cervix, it is easy to operate on it if this thing needs removing. It has not many nerve endings so you are not looking at anything painful. And if, in the worst case scenario, it is something ominous, which is rare and unlikely, the whole thing can be taken out without impacting your quality of life, fast recovery etc. We have become so afraid of this when in fact all cervical issues, caught early enough, are treatable. I just recently had 3rd grade changes on my cervix and underwent conical excision whereby a considerable part of my cervix was removed. I felt no pain, the area was cleared well and I was back up with no issues the same day. Just remember that our cervix is under frequent surveiilance and typically any important changes are caught in time. As for the colposcopy, don't be worried about it. A couple of minor pinches if needed to get tiny samples. Done quickly. Some mild cramping afterwards. Then back to normal. Better that they are careful and prompt than if tey left it there to 'see' what comes of it. All the best.

• Posted

Thank you. I am trying to keep calm. One minute I'm ok. Next I'm a wreck having a panic attack which I haven't suffered from for 2 years. Can't sleep properly either. But thank you for the supportive message xx

• Posted

Yes well....it is easy to be all nonchalant about it in retrospect LOL. I was very edgy when I was informed that i will need colposcopy and even more so after it when I was told:"well...we'll have to remove the area". I remember I faded out at that point and didn't hear anything else the doctor was telling me. By removingthe area he meant a chunk not the entire thing and really it was nothing. No pain no problems. But it brought things into perspective. We screen the cervix all the time. If anything ominous can be discovered early enough, it is on our cervix. I mean you go to gyn for paps every 3 years at least. That gives you plenty of time. How many other parts of your body do you screen as regularly? smile Hang in there. We are lucky we can keep on top of it, even if it does mean overdiagnosis and overly aggressive procedures that are probably unnecessary because most changes never really turn to cancer anyway. smile

• Posted

Thank you. You're so right. I keep reminding myself that if I hadn't had the coil fitted in the first place then I would currently be none the wiser. Doesn't help sometimes. Got my appt yesterday for the colposcopy. Friday 2nd September. Due back from holiday that day. Luckily in the UK so will just have to leave at 7am instead of 10am. Somehow need to forget it until then. Doc has given me diazepam in case I need it. Oddly went into a mass panic when they called with the appointment yesterday afternoon

Glad all is well with you XXX

• Posted

ooooh....diazepam sucks. You just feel heavier and useless after. Now if they really wanted to be accomodating they would have hit you with bromazepam which makes one much more positive smile Really I understand how you feel. Which is why i jumped in with what i hoped would help you feel stronger. It is very unsettling because you go for these things routinely and nothing ever comes of it and then, one day out of the blue:" we need to examine this further" and you crash! But cervix is not the most important thing in the world (and after a kid or two the uterus is not all that crucial either I kept telling myself as my panic escalated biggrin even in the worst case scenario, which it is likely not smile Not like a lung or...brain...which we never scan btw...LOL smile Sorry if my humor is a bit dark too smile Sending best wishes for a straightforward and uneventful culmination to this episode. Let me kno wif you can when you get your results. Or want to talk in the meantime

x

• Posted

Thank you. You're so right. I've done my kid bit now. I wouldn't care if they removed anything I didn't need anymore as long as I'm ok for my children. Good point about the lung and brain too! Lol

Weirdly diazepam does help me to relax and stop panicking. Don't want to rely on it, although the doc did give me 14 x 5mg ones so I might as well enjoy them Haa Haa. I haven't taken one today in case you're wondering :-)

Thank you for the support. I just need to try to tell myself I can't do anything at all so worrying will get me nowhere. I need to enjoy my holiday. Thank you for the offer of talking too. May have to take you up on that when I go into silly panic mode again xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.