CFS/ME or Lyme disease?

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi all,

I just had an interesting conversation with someone regarding my symptoms for cfs/me and they raised an interesting question regarding testing for lyme disease.

I have looked at the symptoms for lyme disease and it is all very familiar symptoms to what myself and a lot of others here experience.

I was asked if this has been checked in the blood tests that have been carried out and I am not sure if this has been checked.

I have had alot of blood tests done and all has been clear but I am not sure if lyme disease was checked as not sure if there is a "special" test for this.

Has anyone else here has lyme ruled out and if so is this checked with your usual blood tests? I see that you don't always get the "bullseye" rash and can just get the other symptoms so is something I will raise this with my Dr. but don't no if I should contact him just to enquire or wait until my next appointment.

Just wanted to throw it out there to see if this is something a Dr. would rule out automatically based on the symptoms of cfs/me.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

One thing I think you can probably check online is the incidence of Lyme in your area. This would maybe tell you the probability of your contracting Lyme.
  • Posted

Totall Agree with Jackie, lymes is contracted through ticks and normally there are reports that they are in your area. If you have been bitten abroad and dismissed as a flea or spider or mosi bite maybe worth having the test, but normally tick bites are more severe. 
  • Posted

My neighbor was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia without knowing that she actually had lyme disease.  Apparently, she got a false negative on her original test for lyme disease.  I guess she was fortunate to get the test re-done.
  • Posted

Hi Shane,

When I was diagnosed 25 years ago for CFS, I was lucky enough to have an experienced infectious disease doctor check me for lyme disease. It was so long ago, so I don't remember the details, but I do think it was a specific test.

I would ask you doctor to order the test needed. Unfortunately, many other diseases must be ruled out first before a diagnosis for CFS can be confirmed or made.  Good Luck. KPD

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.