Champix and Advice

Posted , 3 users are following.

So I have started Day 1 today with my Champix, took me a few days too start taking it as i need to decide on a quit date and with a wedding coming up next week I didnt want to be a miserable bugger lol.

So took day 1 tab this morning and I dont know if it is all in my mind but Ive only had 2 cigs today where i normally would smoke between 10-15 per day!

Can the tablets start working straight away? or is it in my head?

Either way I am looking forward to being smoke free for GOOD this time (so many failed attempts)

I would love to hear from others who have started the journey with Champix and people who have successfully quit with Champix, be good to support each others.

Hope to hear from some of you soon smile

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Sorry should of said my quit date is going to be 29th Nov but I really think it may be sooner judging by day 1 so far smile
  • Posted

Hi Lauren

champix is a miracle pill! I stopped with Champix 17 months ago, textbook stuff, some side effects but easily managed. I didnt feel the effects until week 2. I stopped the day before my stop date and it only took a little willpower to stay stopped over the following weeks. Its amazing how they make you lose interest and the urge to smoke. I would defo set your stop date after the wedding. Please keep us posted and let us help you through the next few weeks....if you need it! X

• Posted

Hi Debbie

Thats fantastic to hear you have stopped 17 months ago.

I'm on day 2 - i have noticed a cut down on the cigs so far, and noticed the morning cig is causing a bit of a sicky feeling and a bit dizzy. here's hoping smile

• Posted

Stick with it Lauren, these babies work! Always here, esp if you need advice re side effects. I save over £160 a month now. Work out what you will save and think what you could spend it on! X
  • Posted

hi i just started the quit smoking group and been given patches and chewing gum ive yet to collect it all could you explain what champix is ? as i think it might help me too ty 
    • Posted

Hi deborah

Champix is a tablet you take and it helps with cravings and nicotine. It basically blocks the craving for nicotine. But these babies are a miracle pill.

You start of with 0.5mg once a day for 3 days then 0.5mg twice day til day 8 then you go up to 1mg twice a day for the remainder of the 12 weeks.

You set a quit day between day 8 and 14 and continue to smoke till your quit day. But im on day 7 and have dramitcally cut my cigs right down already.

There are some side effects nausea, depression, vivid nightmares.

Iv only had nausea and one vivid nightmare.

I take my first pill when i get up and second one about 4.30pm and iv found iv not had any more nightmares taking it earlier.

Hope that helps and good luck on your smoke free journey x

• Posted

Hi Deborah,

champix is is very effective in helping people to quit.  However some people suffer terrible side-effects.  This happened to me recently and my GP told me to stop taking them.

im now using Zyban, which works in the same way as Champix.

tell your Stop Smoking Nurse that you want to try Champix and she should be happy to do this.  Any problems, go to your GP and ask.

hope this helps

• Posted

thanks lauren i wonder my quit smoking nurse never offered me them im going to ask her in 2 weeks my next app or is it cos im in the uk ? ty anyway good luck
    • Posted

I live in the UK too.

I have tried patches gum vapour cigs. Nothing worked for me.

I had a appointment with my doctor and just asked him whilst i was there and he prescribed me it. I do have to attend the smoke clinic also x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.