chances of it spread

Posted , 8 users are following.

Sorry keep asking questions but am so scared, hubby got to av bone scan c if it has spread, is this a normal thing to be done. What are the chances it has spread to bones and if it has surely there nothin can b dun.

2 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi Annette,

You can ask as many questions as you like, support is what this forum is all about.

I am not going to try a pretend I am an expert in this matter, as I dont know what should be normal or what isnt,  My feeling is that every case is different and every dr is different and will go about things in a different way.

The question that you want us on here to answer maybe should come directly from the dr himself..

I can only tell you what happened in my case to diagnose prostate cancer.  I had an MRI scan, then I had a biopsy.  As yet a bone scan hasnt been orderd.

Annette, its natural you are scared and you need correct answered to your questions, support is what is best found on here and proffesional correct and honest answers to the question you are asking should best be done by your dr.

In your case if we give you an unproffesional answer then this could be incedibly misleading and lead to problems later on.

I am sorry I cant answer your question directly, but the best person to answer it directly is your dr and you need honesty.

Take care and all the best to you and your husband

• Posted

The chances your husband's cancer has spread is dependent on many factors, including his general health, the stage of cancer and his Gleason score.

After my bone scan, the urologist ordered a bone biopsy because of a medium-sized black spot on rib number 6. The biopsy determined it was not prostate cancer. It was never determined exactly what it was. The best hypothesis the urologist could come up with is that is was the healing of a broken rib I was unaware had been broken.

It does no good to let yourself be scared. You have no control over the situation. There's nothing you can do to stop the diagnosis. Speaking as someone who went through the process, I suggest you talk about your fear with your husband. That communication will let him know how important he is to you, can be an emotionally healing experience for you, and has the potential of opening a line of communication between the two of you that will bring comfort to both of you.

Remember, cancer is the random mutation of a cell. There was nothing anyone could have done to stop the mutation. Years ago, cancer often mean imminent death. That's no longer the case. Cancer can be successfully treated, managed and even eradicated. 

As hard as it is, focus on something positive. Go out of your way to find something good happening today, and every day of this journey battling cancer. Doing so will add balance to those moments of fear. Positive energy can be more powerful than negative energy.

• Posted

Hi Annette - my husband was diagnosed just over a month ago. His Gleason was 7 and PSA 976 so they gave him a bone scan. Unfortunately his has spread to his bones but our GP told us to expect this with such a high PSA. He had his first hormone injection yesterday and is waiting for an appointment for an xray on his hip which 8s one of the bones it has spread to and he has had a lot of pain. He may then have radiotherapy on his hip but also waiting for an appointment to see oncologist. It is a scary time and I think we have to put on a brave face for our husbands. I hope your husbands bone scan comes back negative and he can start having treatment for the PC. If it is in his bones there is still plenty they can do. Thinking of you. Best wishes Sur
  • Posted

Hi Annette

I see Personal20, JohnPmcC, and Sue0080 have given some very informative posts. All I can add it that you should keep notes of all the figures and information you are given, so you can refer back at any time. Before any meetings with Medics, try and write down the questions you want to ask, and write down the replies.In the begining, you are given so much information it can be difficult to remember and take in. Also remember, you can see your husbands' case notes, and probably get copies.

• Posted

What was his staging? That typically an indicator if cancer is contained to capsule, or spread.
  • Posted

Hi, my other half was not offered a bone scan. It is great they are doing one. It will depend on psa and gleason. A low psa and gleason score will be less likely to spread. Good luck.

• Posted

Annette1307...welcome to the forum... 'Being Scared' is a very normal and common feeling considering the many unanswered questions you must have going through your mind... I know I've been there briefly myself... Until you have all the results from all the tests being done you are unfortunately in a state of limbo... As JohnPMcC suggested in a previous post, try to keep yourselves involved in what ever it is that you like doing to relax...

Please keep me informed regards outcomes so that I can offer any support possible...take care...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.