Change from Venlafaxine capsules to tablets

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hi,

I have been on the XL capsules for many years and last summer managed to reduce my intake to 150mg from the 225mg. All was well and I was looking forward to further reducing my intake over this spring and summer.

However, I was given the tablet form on my last prescription and the past month has been horrendous. The pharmacist is attaching a note to my repeat prescription and I have contacted my doctor's to request capsules.

Has anyone else experienced this? Is the tablet form cheaper than the capsule form? I've never had any problem with the various generic capsules since the patent lapsed. This totally unexpected change to tablet form after almost seven years on capsules makes no sense unless it is a cost saving exercise. Any ideas...?

1 like, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Can you elaborate on your experience, please? Exactly what was different?

Thanks

N.

• Posted

[quote:ebf8a4f39d=\"Anonymous\"]Can you elaborate on your experience, please? Exactly what was different?

Thanks

N.[/quote:ebf8a4f39d]

Thank you for responding. smile

I have had headaches, which I rarely get, and a constant underlying feeling of nausea. My sleep has been very poor, with a lot of restlessness and even a nightmare! This has all been topped of by feeling very low.

• Posted

Ok, thanks. I've been taking 75mg capsules and have just been put up to

150mg tablets. Nightmares have been a problem that have been solved since being on the capsules, though. So, I'll be interested to see if they returns since taking the tablet form.

I think it may just depend on the individual though and which symtoms are being treated... smile

• Posted

[size=16:048533b4a2][color=indigo:048533b4a2]I found myself with the tablet form of venlafaxine a couple of months ago,

having changed from escitalopram (cipralex) to 150mg XL slow release capsules of venlafaxine about 15 months ago ihad found they did help with my depression symptoms. I put my prescription into my usual pharmacy, but when i got home found i had tablets, a phone call to the pharmacy reasured me that all was well and i would find no difference. I had Venlalic XL 150mgtablets and it took just a few days for me to start feel lower, i put it down to the change..but it got worse! Worse insomnia and feeling really low and anxious so i contated my gp he gave me a new prescription...but when i went to the pharmacy and said i need the capsules they said they were now getting the tablets instead, they were exactly the same, so i would begetting them instead. I took my prescription to 5 different pharmacies in my town only to be told they only had the tablet form. I was left with the option of the tablets, no tablets, so stuck with the tablets,a week later i tried again at my local pharmacy and the y had the capsules, but since i have not felt the same help from them as before the tablets......so now i feel i needtolook again at my anti -depressants as i spend every day in bed unless it is essential i leave the house! [/color:048533b4a2][/size:048533b4a2]

• Posted

There is a fundamental difference between Venlafaxine tablets and Venlafaxine slow release from or XR. This is due to the half life of the capsules being extended. Half life being the time it takes to eliminate half of the medication out of your system. Tell you precribing doctors to check the use and dosage instructions very carefully between the tablet form and the slow release form. However most doctors are totally clueless about this difference. The half life of the active metabolite in the tablet from is +|- 12 hours and as a result it is recommended that you normally take the tablets in twice a day.i.e. every 12 hours. The half life of the active metabolite in the capsules is +\\- 24 hours and therefore it is recommended that you take only one dosis a day i.e. every 24 hours.

In addition the maximum daily dosis for the tablets are 375mg given in two dosis while the maximum daily dosis for the capsules or slow release form is 225mg once a day. Please check that you are being prescribed the right form of venlafaxine the right way. If you doctor or pharmacist disagrees with you simply tell them to check their BNF (British national formularly) guidebook on this matter.

A swith from capsules to tablets and vice versa therefore from a pharmacological perspective is the same as a change in dosis of your medication. And you will experience the exact same problems people experience when their dosis is suddenly increased or decrease. If you exprience problems when switching from capsules to tablets, it is because have of the time you are techinically in \"withdrawal\" or discontinuation syndrome state whichi is very destabilising. This means that you are probably going to experience significant discontinuation syndrome when you try to stop taking these medications. So PLEASE be warned. Tell you doctor and make very sure that you are carefully monitored when reducing and stop taking these medications. Also educate yourself very well on the withdrawal symptoms of venlafaxine before you lower you dosis and stop taking the medication.

Venlafaxine has completely ruined my life and I would recommend that anyone stops taking it as soon as possible. Whatever your problems may be Venlafaxine is not going to solve them and will only give you more problems in the long run. For instance Venlafaxine causes memory loss in about 40% of people taking it in the long term. In addition you brain adapts to these medications, neuroadaption, I you end up being completely fucked up for the rest of your life as a result of this

If you are experiencing difficulties due to a change in tablet/capsule from this is as a result of what they call activation or withdrawal i.e. taking a larger than usual dose

• Posted

Im just starting Venflaxine and started on tablets as I was moving from mirtazapine 45mg ( very fast like in 3 days ). The tablets are fairly quick release, and were need to support the fast change from Mirtazapine which made my suicidal.

A lot of people say this anti depressant does this symptom a or symptom b, but the fact is we're all different so we all tolerate the tablet in a different way. I for sure can't stand taking them but gladly next month I am starting CBT and counselling so in really terms I can be off the meds next year ( I m being realistic )

• Posted

I have been switched from venlafaxine tablets to capsules. Ever since I have had a constant feeling of nausea.I have been on the capsules for 3 weeks.
  • Edited

Hello there I'm on 250 mg capsule twice a day. The chemist changed mine to the tablets.   And yes the side effects where awfull mostly sickness and blurred vision  I'm back on slow release caps again and I'm slowly getting back to normal.  Best wishes mike

• Edited

Hello there me too. I've been on the capsules for many years and then. The chemist changed me to the tablets. Oh my god i had nausea blurred vision it was awfull.  Now I'm back on the 250 mg capsules and on the mend. I asked the chemist why was I changed they said I might feel better on the tabs.   No thanks.  Regards mike

• Edited

I took 2 150 mgs of venlafaxine capsules and my dr. Put me on one 225 mg tablet and said this was a step up because the 2 150mg didn't seem to be helping. My math says 300mgs is more than 225. I haven't spoken to dr. yet but is there a difference in mgs. from capsules to tablet? Seem to feel ok??

• Posted

I was on venlafaxine 150mg slow release capsules twice daily!! and the dr changed my capsules to tablets!!!!! All went down hill rather quicklyy from there about 1 week on tablet form I felt absolutley terrible! not knowing why at the time I continued on the tablet form my moods and depression worsened and I ended up in hospital having overdosed.

I would not reckomend drs or chemists changing capsules to tablet form at all as Previous to this I had the tablets first, and they made me feel soo ill and sick!!

I spoke to my dr who then put me on the capsules and I was doing fine and well on them everything was starting to look good!

The chemists and other drs  GP started to prescribe my venlafaxiine (as i no longer needed the mental health dr to do so i was feeling much better!)

But they gave me the tablets! I queried this and told them they had a bad affect on me previously, but they were adament the tablets are the same as the capsules!!

Well they are NOT!! and I nearly died to prove it! They do not have the same long term affect as the capsules, they do make you feel sick and the change is like withdrawral!!! I took a large amount of these tablets and was very ill for 2-3weeks!!

Unable to continue taking the venlafaxine capsules as i had a large amount already of slow release tablets in my system until only just recently re prescribed the capsules.

I am now unsure and scared about restarting the capsules as I do not know if the same will occur again with the change from capsules to tablets? and if it did I know i would not take the tablets due to knowing the side affects of changing and the near death it caused me already!!!

SomI am now at a loss if to continue with the capsules which were helping me!! for fear the drs or chemists will change the prescribed capsules to tablets??? 

At anytime even though my M/H dr has prescribed and requested capsules!! The chemists and GPs dont seem to have a clue and nearly cost me my life!!

Be very careful with the venlafaxine tablets!!! and the prescriptions as they are changed without your knowledge you arrive home with tablets? knowing no better you accept the chemist or dr explanation that they are the same!!! 

Believe me they are NOT!!!! 

• Posted

I have the opposite problem. New job new insurance that doesn't cover tablets that I've been on for ten years. I've been taking capsules for five days now, and my body is acting like I'm not taking my med. I'm light headed, dizzy, and have postural hypotension. Can someone give me advice?

• Posted

A change from 225mg of Venlafaxine via 3 - 75mg capsules daily to 1 - 225mg Venlafaxine tablet caused migraines after 12 days and deep depression. Just a change in the form, from capsule to tablet had a horrible effect on me. I went back to the 3 - 75mg capsules daily 13 days ago and I'm just starting to feel back to normal.

I have found recently that different drug manufacturers of the same drug, use different additives. this can change the drug's effectiveness and cause bad side effects.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.