Change in dosage

Posted , 3 users are following.

For about 12 years I've had lower back pain amd stiffness and I get sciatica all the time but apparently it's nothing.  With my last pregnancy my hips give in. I had full blown spd but since then The slightest twinge sets my sciatica off. I've recently been dealing with the pain for about a month until 3 weeks ago I had to go back to the docs because My face, arms, hands, legs and feet starting tingling. I had my bloods tested for a calcium deficiency which is what the doc thought was wrong with me. So after waiting a few days they showed all fine. A day after I got the results I was still having the tingling but it started in my groin so a different doctor sent me to the local hospital for an X-ray last wed and wanted me to have my bloods done to look for something in my spine which I've now had an appointment through for. I've been on gabapentin 100mg 3 times a day and nothing. I've been put up to 300mg 3 times a day. I also have amitriptyline at night time. But since the gabapentin has been put up the tingling sensation has got stronger. Is this a side effect or is it the situation where it gets worse before it gets better??

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Tell your GP I take the same as you I use too take amitriptyline but it was stopped and put on gab it's on the list for side effects tingling and numbness
    • Posted

It's just hard to tell as I've already had the tingling you see. I've got to go back for my bloods and to see her next week or if I'm still no better she said go to her out of hours clinic on sun. She wants me to have an mri if I'm still like this next week. She said these tabs will stop the tingling rolleyes
  • Posted

Hi, tingling, along with many other annoying and dangerous things definitely a side effect of Gabapentin. Hope you can find something else to take. Good Luck and feel better.
    • Posted

Thanks for the reply. I understand it may be a side effect but I have had the tingling sensation before taking any tablets
    • Posted

Hi, I take it you've seen a Dr for tingling? What do they feel is causing?
    • Posted

It started the same time as my sciatica yes I've seen the doc who put me on these tablets she said it should help with the nerve pain and stop the tingling but it hasn't. The higher dose of gabapentin has made the tingling stronger mainly in my legs. She thinks it may be a slipped disc and if by next week there is no improvement to send me for an mri to see what's going on in my back.
  • Posted

Sensitive skin and increased sensation is listed as possible side effects on the info sheet so tingling could come under this.   Did the initial tingling start soon after you were put on gabapentin or did it start quite recently/long time after you first started gabapentin?

The possible side effects from this med make a very long list, almost anything you can think of! 

Some side effects diminish after a few weeks but not always.

Could you go back to your old dose and see if the tingling improves over a few weeks?

• Posted

The initial tingling started a few days before I was on any tablets that's why I went to the doctors really as I've never tingled with sciatica before but since taking the stronger tablets it's got more intense in my legs.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.