Change of Amitriptyline brand?

Posted , 12 users are following.

I have been on Amitrityline for many years, and, it's been very effective too.

I have lived without nerves/panic/depression for 2 years now.

I picked up a new prescription just over a week ago, which is a a different brand/colour, and, ever sinse, I have been a bit nervous!

Any thoughts?

1 like, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

I often get a different brand/colour. Ranges from bright blue to a very pale blue. Not noticed any difference at all.
  • Posted

My sleeping tablets have changed, box colour etc, shape of pills, but they still do the same thing, my amitriptyline changed also like this on my last prescription, i noticed, dont be nervous, as pyschologically that'll effect you more, if you note actually changes in your mood then jot in down as well as what was occuring at that time to try to factor out whether its outside influence propelling you to think that way, also theres nothing wrong with checking with your pharmacy or your dr about the med, Nick.
  • Posted

rodney

I’ve been dispensed generic meds that have varied in size and color. I take zolpidem (generic Ambien) and my refills were constantly white but on one occasion, I opened the pill bottle and found a larger and pink color pill. I was upset and thought they gave the wrong med so I took it back. The pharmacy looked up the generic med and the picture matched. You can google:

picture  manufacture name  drug name  how many milligrams

picture mylan zolpidem 10 mg matched my pink pill and number.

For you google: picture manufacture amitriptyline #mgs 

• Posted

Pharmacies always buy the cheapest possible Brands and therfore you will find the colour sometimes different or a different shade of colour. I have been on Amitripyline for 20 years so don't worry unless of course there is a different name to the product itself. I take this medication not for depression but pain. The only concern I have now is that recently mentioned in the press about the possibility of Amitripyline causing the onset of dementia, which is indeed worrying!
  • Posted

Hi just wondering if you were still on this drug if so what mg I'm on it for depression and anxiety gone upto 50mg over the past 4 weeks I feel like a zombie and shaky inside dizzy vision problems just wondered if u have had success with this med
  • Posted

I am most surprised you have been prescribed Amitryptiline for depression as it is not used in modern times for this condition. There are many better drugs for depression that do not have the unpleasant side effects that so many patients experience when taking Amitryptiline. I was prescribed it purely for chronic pain (prostatitis) and I take 50mg each night and have done so for the past twenty years. I have fortunately experienced no unpleasant side effects with the drug the most frequent of these being dry mouth and awaking tired and sleepy in the morning!  I advise you to speak to your doctor as he/she will certainly be able to offer you one of the many alternatives available. Hope this helps!
    • Posted

Hi Anthony. How would you describe your prostatitis after taking Amitryptiline? (I'm  guessing if you have been taking it for 20 years, it must help!) I'm 28 and have been dealing with prostatitis for 12 years now (Chronic non bacterial), it's starting to get me down. Takes forever to start urinating, no pressure when urinating or ejaculating, split stream, burning after ejaculation, sometimes urine retention, slight ED occasionally. But my Dr just doesn't know what to recommend anymore, and I'm pretty sick and tired of having the same tests and them throwing Cipro or Doxycycline at me. Same things expecting different results, madness!
  • Posted

I've had different colours and brands if it says amitriptyline on the box its been checked when disp the date is also checked nothing to worry about as someone said it may be a cheaper brand but does the same thing
  • Edited

iHi i just came upon your post because i just had a similar problem.  i take amitryptilene 50 mg for pain management for 10 yrs.and it has been very effective.  the pharmacy changed brands.  i could tell because the pill was larger.  i took the new brand for a couple of days and it did not work at all.  the pain returned.  i investigated with my pharmacist's help.  the brand that did not work is manufactured by Accord.  The brand that works is manufactured by Mylan.   i thought you'd like to know.

• Edited

I think I'm having the same problem with Accord but for the treatment of migranes. Can't confirm yet as have only been able to get hold of old brand today. Did you report this to the MHRA? Or the drugs company? (They have an obligation to investigate) or your GP? If not please do!!

• Edited

Generics differ in quality from one manufacture to another. They contain the same active ingredient(s) as the name brand when the patient expires. But the patient on the time release binders that dispense the med into the body never expirers. Each generic manufacture have to engineer another new set of time release binders (the glue that hold and release the med). Generic manufacture “A” may have developed time release binders similar to the name brand while generic manufacture “B” may disperse the med too fast or too slow to be effective. As I understand it, generic manufactures also do not even have to do studies to see how effective their med is just as long as it contains the active ingredient. I take a med for epilepsy and started to have problems after the store changed generic brand. I looked on the web and found other epileptics taking this one generic brand were also having problems. I live in the U.S. and generics are allowed to contain anywhere between 80 to 120% of the active ingredient. I’ve given up on trying to tell my Dr there is a difference in the quality of generic brands.
  • Posted

hi rodney you didnt say what mill tabelets you were on i know the 50mil comes in 2 differnt coulours you can get a light brown ones or a deep red ones hope this helpfull
  • Posted

I have experienced this too. Obviously prescribing generic brands, which is ok but they vary in colour. I personally don't like the brand that has too much dye colour, but that's just me.

• Posted

I have the same issue. My pain has been on the rise for a full month when it was fairly controlled before. I've looked back over my pain app that creates a chart and realized the only thing that has changed it the brand of Amitriptyline from Teva to Strides Pharma.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.