Change of Generic Drug Manufacture and Side Effects

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi, I was prescribed Atorvastatin along with Losartan for high blood pressure and Cholesterol.

I seem to be going on OK after having horrendous problems taking Amlodipine. The generic manufacture of Atovastatin and Losartan remained the same for quite some time. But over the last two months both drugs have change manufacture twice in two months and I am starting to feel some of the side effects that have been quoted on these forums.

Has anyone else noticed that a change in the generic manufacture has an effect on how you feel or is it just in my imagination?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Yes I find that and so does my wife. I have gone to the extent of going round pharmacies to which version they have this week.

Sometimes at my local pharmacy my 56 tablets are from two different makers. 

• Posted

Thank you Derek76

I thought I was loosing it, at least I know someone else has the same problem 

• Posted

You will that very many have the same problem. I was taking a certain named BP drug and if I ever got a generic version my BP went up within a few days.

Same with the PPI Nexium that I never get now as doctors have to prescribe generic verisons. Look closely at packet inserts and many are not made in this country.  

• Posted

My wife and I have notice the same problems with different medication.

I don’t know if its the pharmacies or the wholesalers that push the different makes of drugs.

Around October last year there was a shortage of a drug that my wife takes and I made my own investigations as to why.

I found out that a good percentage of generic drugs are made in India. I live very close to a pharmaceutical company head office and when talking to them found out that they are an Indian company, the only presence in the UK was that office. Know doubt there are other pharmaceutical company’s from other countries with a similar set up.

• Posted

The NHS push doctors and pharmacies to find the cheapest source and as soon as a product license runs out they prescribe it by the generic name. I asked a pharmacist if they made more by getting the cheapest his answer was 'To a degree' Perhaps a pharmacist reads this Forum and can reply.

I complained to a maker and to the MHRA when a generic seemed not to be controlling my BP. They each asked me to send samples to them for testing. The reply was that the samples were within specification.

The makers reply came by return of post. There was a long silence from MHRA and I had to chase them up for a reply.

We are all different my wife prefers and Indian made PPI that I find to be less effective.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.