Changed antidepressant and am sick and nausea

Posted , 2 users are following.

Came off venlafaxine 225mg two weeks ago and am on citalopram 30mg now going up to 40mg in two weeks. Am sick in the morning and have nausea, how long will this go on, am going back to work in two weeks and don't wanna feel like this. I also take litium and have no polar.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Side effects can last quite a few weeks, but stick with it as they will ease off.  These meds take a long time to build up in your body, so again, stick with it. Measure progress month by month, not week by week.  It's so worth the wait.

K x

• Posted

For what reason did you go on citalopram?  When I was taking Lithium it shuts of the side of your brain that gives you the Bipolar issues so that you don't actually suffer from the effects of Bipolar Disorder. You must have spoken to your GP and whatever was said made him make the decision to prescribe Citalopram. You have only been taking it for a short time so it shouldn't hurt you to come off it now if you speak to your GP again and he may be able to prescribe an alternative to help resolve whatever problems you discussed.
    • Posted

Hey Gwen, was on citalopram before and it had less side effects. Have stopped feeling sick and am back at work. Have gone up to 40mg this week and am a bit anxious, but that could be cos I am back to work. I am on lithium too, but it does not stop me from going through psychosis, when that happens I go on an anti psychotic. Need the citralopram for depression.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.