Changing from Fluoxetine to Sertraline after 5 months

Posted , 4 users are following.

Fluoxetine has helped me a fair bit but because I'm still getting anxiety and depression, my Doctor has said that Sertraline would be better for me.

I'm scared and worried as I've only ever used Fluoxetine. Perhaps it's time for a change. Any advice would be great.

Thanks

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

• Posted

You've given it a good long time. I think your doctor is probably right that another med would suit you better. Fluoxetine is nkt for everyone, I had to come off of it as well. Is your doctor having you wean off fluoxetine first or do a straight switch? Good luck to you, I hope this works out for you. Xxx

• Posted

How long was you on fluoxetine for? Iv been on 20mg for 8weeks now better than i was but dont feel "back to normal" yet!! Side effects have been terrible.....

• Posted

I took it for 11 weeks. It just caused me too many problems. My cardiologist finally told me to stop taking it. I know it helps a lot of people but it definitely was not for me.
    • Posted

So you have cardiac problems aswell then do you. Anxiety is bad enough i couldnt imagine another condition ontop aswell. Are you taking anything else instead of thr fluoxetine now?
    • Posted

I actually never had cardiac problems until I got on the fluoxetine. That was why my doctor wanted me off of it. I'm not taking anything else at the moment. Mentally, I feel a million times better since stopping the fluoxetine. Physically I'm still not back to normal but it's getting better. Have your side effects started to improve? They can be really rough.

• Posted

Im glad your feeling better. My side effects have improved i couldnt drive for 2/3weeks and my mum looked after my son first 2weeks i was like a zombie. So im better compared to then its been a rollercoaster. A couple of better days then a few bad days.
  • Posted

Took my son 9 months to recover completely on Fluoxetine.  For me, it was 6 months on Citalopram.  Everyone is different, so you could try for longer or you may feel its time for a change??
    • Posted

Hi Kate

Thought it was time for a change and agreed with the Doctor. Had fluoxetine before and it helped me within 3 months. This time it's been going on and even though I improved a little, I started going downhill again.

I'm on my 3rd day on Sertraline and I did manage to sleep last night but I've got a major headache. Feel unsure about everything and feel low. My appetite again has gone. I know it's like starting over again when it comes to taking new meds. I just hope these ones work better this time.

Hope you're doing well x

• Posted

Hi all,

In total it's been about 5-6 months on fluoxetine. I think it was time to change. In the past fluoxetine worked great but this time round it's not helped like before.

I am still taking one Fluoxetine and one Sertraline for two weeks then just the Sertraline. The doctor said it wordings better than completely stopping fluoxetine.

I'm on my second day of doing this and I didn't sleep hardly at all last night. Laid in bed most of today and finally got some sleep. Not sure if it's the meds or the fact that I'm thinking about it.

Hope you guys are well. God bless x

• Posted

Hi this is opposite my experience but I have come off sertraline 100mg and now I'm on fluoxetine 40mg started on 20mg, I am not finding the fluoxetine as good as the sertraline At all and giving the fluoxetine two more weeks and then changing back if I don't pick up, I had no bad days on sertraline however I had a bad turn with health anxiety and changed because I felt I needed help quick, side effects going on sertraline were nowhere as bad as fluoxetine and seemed to work quicker. Good luck x

• Posted

Thanks Jodie. You're right, Fluoxetine side affects so far are worst than Sertraline. It's early days but I refuse to give up. Fluoxetine helped but Anxiety was still bad. I have it up to 6 months. So definitely time for a change for me. Good luck and let me know how you get on xx

• Posted

I have been waking up terribly anxious in the morning with a panic feeling but then not too bad for the rest of the day, but I just want to feel perfectly normal again to my normal self it's so hard and health anxiety is evil xx

• Posted

I understand Hun. It's so hard and scary. We can't switch off our minds and it's like having this inner battle.

Give it time, you will find yourself. Xx

• Posted

Hi Katie,

I started to feel okay but Anxiety and Depression was still fairly high. More than it should be after nearly 6 months.

In the past fluoxetine worked on me within 3-4 months. It's been much tougher this time.

I think I needed something different. Will see how this new med goes for me.

Hope you're feeling better. X

• Posted

I hope your new meds work for you!

I get really bad acid reflux and nausea my appetite comes n goes for days then i worry about losing more weight. I used to work full time run ahouse look after my 7year old i enjoyed being busy and on the go but no im not like that. Im off work. I can take my son to and from school bath him feed him n cuddle n love him. I feel the days drag they feel so long and im guilty im not busy i dont have much motivation i feel lazy. My mind is constantly thinkin how far i am from before.

• Posted

How long have you been on the meds for? It does take some time, but your appetite will come back. Also you will find that slowly you're mood will change and you will start to feel like yourself again.

• Posted

I was on citalopram 20mg for 4years but weaned myself off over a few months. I had my implant removed and my anxiety went through the roof. I was put on fluoxetine 20mg week 9now.

Sildw effecta have been terrible i felt like i had the flu couldnt get out of bed for a week couldnt drive for 2 /3 weeks. Spaced out and giddy tired n sleepy all day. Increased anxiety. I am better than that now i dont sleep through the day but i feel like um not living my life im feelin down and gloomy and tearful.

Im thinkin do i need my dose increased? What if i only thi k i nees it increased and i dont actually need an increase what will too higher dose do to me??

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.