changing from mitrazapine to fluoxetine re bereavement

Posted , 4 users are following.

My Mum is in the last stages of her life, she has been in hospital for 10 weeks and has now only a few days left, I used to be on Fluoxetine 60 mg and was weaned off to mitrazapine 15mg, I remember the thing that bothered me about fluoxetine was that I felt so numb emotionally etc; now I would give anything to feel just a bit numb to what is happening as I seem to cry for the smallest reasons and I know I need to be strong for my Dad and Son (he is an adult) and also know ahead of me is one of the hardest episodes of my life...now, this may sound wrong or bad but could I go back on fluoxetine just over the next month or so, just so I can cope better, not break down whenever I think about my Mum, or visit or when I need to stay strong? This may sound to some as if I am toying with my medication but can anyone help, I really need the kind of numbness that made me cope better when I was on fluoxetine although I know I cannot go on like that, I just need that crutch over the next 4 weeks...am not looking for emotional help just honest practical help re changing my medication, thanks 

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I don't think anyone can offer advice on going back on a drug. That would have to be up to your doctor. Maybe a benzo to get you through this, but only for a short time.

In my experiences, I have found it better to FEEL the hurt, pain, grief. That is what will ultimately heal you, but since you are not looking for emotional help, there's not much more I can offer. I am so sorry you are going through this. I've been there and it's not easy. Best wishes....

• Posted

Hi lynnie,I think every word of Kathys advise is exactly what I'd say.

I take Diazapam but only as I need it,and I find that is quite a good crutch in certain circumstances . As for the emotional side of things sometimes it's best to feel,it also helps other people (like your dad and Son) feel stronger.Dont put all the burden on yourself,you need to feel for your mom right now.  Chat with your GP.

• Posted

I'm sorry you're in this situation but I really don't think it's normal or natural to be numbed out when someone so close to you is dying, and being numbed out isn't being strong in my view.     Is there any bereavement support at the hospital?

However, that's your decision, but I'd reckon you'd need to do this medication switch under some sort of supervision, because some medications stay in your system for a while after you stop taking them and could interact with a new one.  I know this is the case even with St Johns Wort, you have to be off it for at least 4 weeks before going on to any other medication, including anti-depressants.

• Posted

Hello Lynnie

I am so sorry for your sadness.  I agree with Kathy, you are approaching a painfull & difficult time in your life, you are afraid and as a fellow sufferer of anx & dep I can understand how you may feel the NEED to control what you are fearing with the numbness that medication can offer - who says you have to be strong, where is it written, you need to look after yourself also and let yourself follow the path of bereavment.  

With regard to swapping meds - you don't say how long you have been on Mirt' - it's not so easy to stop, weaning could take a few months - maybe talk to your doctor re Diazapam for a short period?

BEST WISHES

However, 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.