Chest again

Posted , 6 users are following.

Can anyone explain hw a heavy chest feels? I hav been getting a sensation in d middle of my chest an each time i think bout it am getting anxiety

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

• Posted

For my anxiety, I can best describe it as a giant, (I am a medievalist so I say Grendel from "Beowulf"wink pressing his thumb on my heart. 

• Posted

Hi, this can be anxiety , acid reflux, or breathing issues. I'm no doc but I have the same thing just a few minutes ago. It's very annoying, I've also gone through physical therapy to find out its inflammation. Hope I've given u some positive info. Always get you heart checked any ways. Be blessed!

• Posted

Hi, Wendy,

Sometimes it feels as though my chest were super-full, with lots of pressure.  Difficult to draw the next breath...

In addition to what Lee said, a feeling of heaviness in the chest can also be caused by the tendancy not to take a full breath, the chest becomes tight, because you're always holding your breath due to anxiety.  Finally, this can also be a symptom of having a hiatal hernina.

• Posted

Hi lynda i thank u for support my chest does actually feel full an d anxiety is peeking jus trying to control and its nt easing at all😢😢😢

• Posted

Oh wow i am feeling exactly the same right now and came to the sight and found this. I am now going to try some meditation. Thankfully we have this site to vent. We are all in this together ladies stay strong 😃

• Posted

Oh, dear! Please know that we're all in this together, and we're here for you!

(((BIG HUG)))

• Posted

This is my scariest and most puzzling symptom to me...chest heaviness, pressure in the chest and difficulty in breathing. It happens alot. I was told of a breathing technique where you breath in from your nose through your tummy (ensuring not chest) slowly for 4 counts...hold your breath for 4 counts then slowly breath out for 8-10 counts...if I do this a few times it does seem to help. I have to do it may times a day. (Had loads of tests and all normal)
    • Posted

Hi, Liz,

I think that your diaphragm could be spasming. This happens when you're stressed, because women tend to hold themselves as if they're tensing for the next "blow" when they're experiencing tension. 

The breathing technique is very good.   

• Posted

Oh really? I hadn't heard of that before, it mainly happens at work and I have a stressful job so it makes sense. Thank you x

• Posted

You're welcome.  The only reason I know is because it was happening to me constantly when I was working as a paralegal.  I would come home from work, sit down to compose myself and my chest would start aching and hurting.  I thought I was having heart problems! 

I went and had a stress test and all that stuff but all was normal.  I thought I was going to drop dead.  Then someone told me about it!  xx

• Posted

Me too! When it's happening it really does feek like your about to die or collapse ...awful...I do worry about the long term health issues it may cause going through this multiple times a day for the past 2 years. Did you get specific treatment for the spasms can i ask? And did it work?

• Posted

It's so hard to go through something when the tests say all is normal, isn't it?  

My gp at the time offered me tranquilizers to take the edge off my stress.  I was running on adrenaline all the time.  Paralegals CAN'T make mistakes!  I knew that if I was put on something to help me relax I'd relax so much I would get careless--and my job would be at risk.  So, I tried to make sure that when I went to the loo or ran errands that I would spend some of the time making myself breathe properly.  

Gradually, it worked.  

• Posted

Lynd thats the thing all our test are normal so the first thing they say we need a psych evaluation
    • Posted

So true...I was told, "Why don't you try to find a less stressful job?"  This question came from people who were earning many times what I was earning.  My husband and I were raising 2 teenagers (one in braces) and making house and car payments. They said it almost glibly.

Every job has stress!  But I admit that I was expecting perfection from myself!  One thing I did was to ask the lawyers I was working with "which of the priorites you've given me is the most important one?"  When more than one of them gave me an "urgent" matter, I also said, "Wow, I'll get to this as soon as I can, but (insert lawyer name) has already given me something that they want me to focus on today.  Do you want to go speak to them, discuss what's the most important thing to do and then get back to me? Thanks!"  smile

That helped!

• Posted

Yes extremely! Especially when you feel like you are doing everything you possibly can to reduce the symptoms yet you still get them...even after a restful holiday....Yes I nip off to the loo to breath too....maybe I need to do it more consistently..I'll try it 😊.

• Posted

Thanks a mil Lynda...will do (I'm hoping to avoid the last resort of leaving work) x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.