Chest & Arm pain - cardiac, muscular or anxiety???

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi all,

For 4 months now I have been suffering with chest pains. When it started it was just pains in my chest, but then it began to spread to my arm, neck, back and I even had a numb/tingling sensation around my face.

I have seen a few different doctors and have had various opinions including muscular pain, trapped nerves and anxiety but I am terrified that something is wrong with my heart. I've had loads of ECG's which have been normal, blood work and chest x-Ray all fine. The only thing that was picked up was a possibility of SVT, this was after I suffered my first (and only) panic attack 4 months ago and my heart rate was very high. Since then though my heart rate has been quite low and on one of my trips to a&e they told me that I had an athletes heart rate and disagreed with my doctor that I had SVT. I am a 25 year old female, very slim but definitely not athletic! In recent weeks I have also suffered a few palpitations and am finding myself overly aware of my heart beating. I'm due to get a 24hr holder monitor fitted in a few days so hoping that can put my mind at rest a little, but just wanted some reassurance from people that may have gone through something similar and can help me believe that there is nothing wrong with my heart. Thanks smile

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

You have and are doing the right thing getting it all checked out. Panic attack are very nasty, your heart rate would be very high, flight or fight ancient survival from that sabre tooth tiger that has come to the mouth of your cave with the intent to have you for dinner.

Heart problems at 25 extremely rare.

• Posted

I'm in similar situation. At 33 I was naturally thin but not atheltic. Took an antibiotic (which I read later can cause lots of issues) and then a month later I started having chest pains which then lead to arm pain, body shutting down and ER visits. Months later my heart started acting up. I've 2 monitors, multiple ECG and EKGs, stress test, blood work and the only thing they've found is PVCs. I was told it was muscular or anxiety. Lokg story short. Acupuncture caused me to end up with a collapsed lung. After all this I'm pretty sure it's all lung related. Try not to stress out about it.
    • Posted

Hi Steph, thanks for your reply smile

I'm trying my best not to stress about it because it will only make it worse, but its so frightening when all of the symptoms point to a heart problem. It's really reassuring that all of the tests so far have come back normal and i know my age, weight etc are in my favour but it still doesn't stop me from worrying which is horrible! I've also seen so many doctors and keep trying to tell myself that surely they can't all be wrong. I would just really like my life back, i was never an anxious person before all of this but i'm determined to not let it win! Getting the 24hr monitor fitted tomorrow so will see what happens with that smile 

• Posted

Where are the pains in the chest and back located?
    • Posted

I've had pains all over my chest, and also different types of pain ranging from sharp/shooting pains, throbs and tightness. My back is also sore all over, the lower back i put down to the scoliosis surgery that I had when i was 16, but the upper back i'm not too sure. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.