Chest pain

Posted , 4 users are following.

I've been taking Omeprazole for 4 or 5 years now due to acid reflux but lately have been suffering more and more with pains in my chest and night time anxiety attacks which are made worse by the feeling that my heart is fluttering and palpitating. The trouble is that I need something to control the acid and have tried coming off the medication before. On that occasion I was eating foods which were more alkaline and avoided anything which was hight in acid. I even tested my pH levels regularly to make sure I was keeping my system nicely balanced. None of this seemed to work and eventually the discomfort in my oesophagus and stomach forced me to back on the pills - I didn't even have time to feel any benefit from not taking them. In fact my doctor recommended doubling the dose in order to calm things down quickly. Well, the result of taking 40mg was that I sat up all night in a state trying to reassure myself that I wasn't really having a heart attack. The next day I went back to the doctor who gave me an ECG which thankfully was clear. I don't think I can stand taking Omeprazole any more but the doctors don't seem to understand how bad it's making me feel. If anyone else is now taking an alternative which works for them - or has any other tips - please advise. I will certainly try an apple a day but I feel sure I will need more than that because lying awake at night with stomach pain is almost as bad as the chest pains. Thanks in advance.

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I hate the thought that I am stuck taking Omeprazole for the rest of my life if nobody comes up with alternative. .. I get the odd heart flutters , my main annoyance side effect is my tastes and smell is effected , everything smells odd and food I used to enjoy taste bland or disgusting, I also get chapped split lips and sore tounge ... but stopping taking Omeprazole means heart burn and feeling sick , the valve at the top of my stomach dosnt close properly so food and acid leaks back up ...
  • Posted

Hello Judyb

I do sympathise for you. I too have been on Omeprazole , but for over 15 yrs & started to suffer Anxiety/Panic attacks /Lightheaded feelings. I came off them after reading bad reports a few weeks ago. I too suffered severe burning reflux ....it was unbearable.

My doctor prescribed Ranitidene 300mg which help at night & I raised the bed up 6 inched at the head. Im ok ,but still suffer after my love of cakes & chocolate.I am more careful what I eat, stick to fish/chicken/rice / porridge /bland boring foods are ok, I Take Gaviscon too,Im going to try & stick to a boring diet & not go back on the Omeprazole, Its 3 weeks now I have been off them ..... Im still a little anxious , but Im having more good days than bad days. Im hoping that it may just take longer to get out of my system. ....I do find apple juice is too acid for me, ....or was you joking about apple a day?

Well ...good luck in finding a cure, there is a lot of people on this Omeprazole..

Take care.

• Posted

You just totally described me exactly. I am going throught the exact same thing. After five yrs of trying to fix things on my own I gave in and went on omeprazole. Now will prob have to be on forever. What can you do...I can't figure this acid thing out!!
  • Posted

Thanks for your support everyone. It's weird but reassuring to know that the same thing is happening to others - it does help to lower the worry level anyway.
  • Posted

I have had acid reflux many years o. Off and taken omprezole and then come off it, an awful drug I was then put on ranitidine and that didn't help, I am seeing a gastrologist this fri as I want to have some tests and advice on medication, I am 52 fit healthy don't smoke drink eat rubbish all good food sand don't want to keep taking medication until I know cause, may be no cause then I will see, I take gaviscon advance aloe Vera peppermint oil and doing so much betters , typical as now seeing him next week, but I bet flare up off acid and a gnawing pain in upper abdomen lasting up to 10 weeks, it is a nuisance all this acid . 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.