Chest pain

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello everyone, a little advice please from anyone who's been in a similar position. Long story short hubby been having chest pain, also across his back into left arm and jaw , GP refered him to hospital , had blood tests etc decided on angiogram so went in for it yesterday. Whilst doing procedure his heart stopped so chest compressions and then completed with stent in artery. This artery was 90% blocked, two more arteries 50% blocked , next step heart scan to decide weather to place in more stents or to operate and do a heart bypass. We are in total shock as had no idea things were this serious, he is still in hospital ( he's 51) and I will be making my way back in there soon to be with him. My question is has anyone experienced anything like this and if so could guide me through the next steps, all very scary and worrying as totally unexpected. Thanks in advance. Ps , otherwise fit and well, doesn't smoke or drink , works very hard manually 12 hour days, been telling him to slow down for years but typically never listens to wife ! Also slim but muscly with minimal body fat.

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

i have a different reason for my heart pain, but just wanted to say hope all goes well!, from those i know who have had stuff like this done they are having amazing new lives!
    • Posted

Thank you Andrew, sorry you have pain also - hope you are receiving the right treatment. - just returned from hospital , keeping him in as heart flipping about and BP still low, now talking about pacemakers plus stents, all so scary - especially for so one so fit and well, so unexpected. Look after yourself.
  • Posted

My Nephew's best friend had a massive heart attack earlier on this year, he was only 22-23 years old, he was working out in the gym and just dropped to the floor dead, luckily this gym facility had a defib machine and a trained user, that's what saved his life, when paramedics  arrived they took over, got him back ,got him stable enough to transport  him to emergency,apparently he crashed again on the way in, this young fella didn't smoke had a good diet, did like to have beer socially with his friends but it wasn't like he was an every day drinker he was to much into fitness, from memory his areteries were all good no blockages. So I can understand your total shock .

​Now what he had to endure for the next few weeks was tough not just on him but his family and friends, the doctors had to put in a pacemaker do the fine tuning , he then had to build back up to full health again slowly and gently, As far as I know he is doing fine now, pacemaker has given him a few flutters from what I have understood from my nephew but all sorted and he's  pretty well back to a normal life now  but he just has to be careful now and not over do things,

​When I had my first  heart attack -mild one (I was 46 back then) I was on the cardiology ward and patients waiting for bypass surgery was staggering , I've heard about or have seen a couple of patients that had their surgery after I was discharged and they have felt really good they just have to keep on top of their eating habits and the way they exercise to help prevent build ups again, leading a good full healthy life now....

• Posted

thats so scary, thank you for reply I'm shocked.

Husband discharged on Saturday but been having chest pains all weekend , saw doctor and he is being readmitted into hospital tomorrow - we are very scared and worried as not sure what to expect. Chest pains radiating into back with dizziness. Feel sick with fear it's horrible xx

• Posted

Hi,

Very glad he made it through!   I was 48, when I had a small stroke on the right side, and 49 when I have the first heart attack.  Am 65 now, female. Have had the jaw pain and hurt so bad I wanted to rip my face off.  Over all these years I can' begin to tell you how mmany stents I have had.

You and hubby are not alone.  Today, there are tests we didn't have 16 years ago.  Although time consuming and scary, I have come to understand my heart, how it works, detect certain pains, and what to do about them.  Become AWARE.

Plaque builds up fast.  Know this, I have had stent close and rotor-rooted out, but the heart is an amazing organ, it performed and created a "lateral circulation" whereas it created a vein to replace the blocked one.

Now, the right side of my heart is dead, with many tiny blockages non-reachable.

Am still going,  Eat as healthy as you can, 

Good luck and be blessed

M. Lafitte, North Louisiana, USA

• Posted

Oh my goodness you have suffered so much but it's great how you are so positive.

this has been a massive shock for us and the family - and he was discharged on Saturday and has been having chest pains all over the weekend with dizzy spells. He's being admitted into hospital again tomorrow and we don't know what to expect, frightened - as don't know what's going to happen x

• Posted

The unexpected is always scary, but you will make it through with him.  They cannot help me any longer, but the nitrates help a lot with the pain.

Positive attitude, and ask a lot of questions to be able to understand, they give medican jargon, tell them to explain to you as though you are 6 years old.  If need be, write your questions down, there are NO such things as "stupid questions".  Prayers being sent.   <3>

• Posted

Thank you yes, am just packing bags again ready for him to go - he's scared of another angiogram as his heart stopped last time and can't go through that terrible fear again. It's the not knowing that's the scary thing - and we can't understand why he's still getting chest pain when the worst artery that was 90% blocked now has a stent in place, the other arteries need to be dealt with now. He said the pains are shooting, stabbing in random areas around the heart and with this comes the dizziness, any ideas ? I am so very sorry for your suffering also xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.