chest pain (mainly on left side). No apparent cause. Need help or at least reassurance

Posted , 3 users are following.

Been reading a lot on this page so thought I’d just discuss my issue. Back in May of this year I began to have some palpitations. I ignored them since I am very scared of doctors and don't really believe in medications (at least I didn't till may!). I was taken to the emergency room the night of prom (high school) which was in may and was diagnosed with anxiety. The week of prom and graduation (which should be the best time ever) was a total nightmare for me. I kept going to doctors and the palpitations went away with medication. I was just given a diagnosis of anxiety. I visited a psychiatrist who prescribed some meds, which I still take. The anxiety then went away for a few months; I assume it was because I was busy with friends. My parents thought I shouldn’t go to college right away and should take a semester off, which I am currently doing. However, ever since all my friends left for college not only is the anxiety back, but I have chest pains (particularly on the left side). I, like many others, have had blood work, an EKG and even an Echo (I'm an 18 male so kinda embarrassing). I feel like I have become a hypochondriac and this is not how I remember myself to be. I used to smoke off and on, I am overweight and do have a family history so I am very concerned about my heart. However, all tests are normal. I could very well have anxiety since certain events leading up to graduation were stressful, but I didn’t think they were that bad (or that I was so sensitive). Sometimes I feel like I’m getting lightheaded or dizzy, but my mom keeps telling me that those are very extreme feelings and you wouldn’t walk straight if your brain wasn’t getting enough oxygen. It’s just a really horrible position to be in. The doctor says if I had issues to this level I would have fainted at some point by now (been to two cardiologists) Does this happen to anybody? Any feedback or suggestions would be appreciated

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi

Anxiety is not a nice thing especially so young. A reason you get lighted headed could be your shoulders are stiff and it is causing the nerve at the back of your head to re-act and make you dizzy. It basically traps the nerve. ECG `s do not always pick problems up. The Echo sounder if it was tracing your ( heart ), would. The pain on your left side could be something simple you are tensing your self up more, I tend to do this. BUT get it checked out sooner rather than later. Hope this is of some help.

• Posted

Thanks for your response. I have been checked a bunch of times. I've visited a GP, Psychiatrist and multiple cardiologists so i don't really know what else i can get checked. 
  • Posted

Hi,

I am also 18 and have some heart problems, not to worry you but I had all the same tests as above and they all came back clear, not all problems can be picked up just by using these tests. If you can figure out exactly what causes you pain then you could maybe ask for second opinions. I get how you feel, I had to push my doctors to listen to me, I felt like they didn't believe a word I was saying because I'm young. In the end I was diagnosed with SVT (which doesn't sound like what you have so don't worry!) and needed a heart procedure to fix this. The point about fainting isn't necessarily true, I get extremely light headed and dizzy all the time but don't faint I just feel I have to sit down and stay still for a while. I recommend you push your doctors if you don't think you've been properly diagnosed and I hope you get better soon 😊

• Posted

Hi, if you don't mind me asking, how were you finally diagnosed with SVT.
    • Posted

Because quick movement and exercise caused my episodes I had an ECG whilst doing exercise, so they monitored my heart whilst I was on a treadmill, then they caught my SVT on the ECG. My episodes did get progressively worse so if it is SVT you have I recommend being treated sooner rather than later. Sometimes you may not need a procedure if the episodes can be controlled with medication. Good luck 😊

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.