Chest pain sore throat feels like something is stuck .. possible anxiety

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have been to the emergency room twice in the past 3 days due to crushing chest pain sore throat and feeling like something is stuck in my esophagus. They did a x-ray of my chest an EKG and determined I was ok to leave ...I came back a second time and stated how I wasn't sleeping due to the pain and he said that it's probably anxiety causing the problems. I feel like while possible the number of tests that were completed do not rule enough things out ...it's 343 am and I'm missing work because how I feel is more then I can take and I'm having a really hard time thinking it's just anxiety because it's relentless and feels like my throat is inflammaed/sore like something is stuck and my chest is extremely sore ...

I don't know what to do ...I feel like they are being dismissive to me and labelling it on anxiety because they don't know what it truly is ...anyone ever feel like this ...and just wanted to state feeling the way I feel has make me anxious

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

i am no medical expert or anything but i feel like if the doctors said you were fine, you are fine

don't stress it, as it worsens the situation

ive read anxiety can cause chest pain and strong enough to mimic what you fear the most

• Posted

Maybe it is anxiety..ive never been. Diagnosed but I've spent the last 3 days in bed holding my chest looking up possible ailments I have ...I've also appeared to lose my appetite ..i just want to get better and go back to work ...I'm going to miss 3 work days in a row...

• Posted

i am only 17 and i have chest pains myself from constantly worrying as well

i have yet to make a trip to the doctors but i barely have the signs for the things i worry about which makes me believe it justs health anxiety

the most easiest way to get your mind off things to find new interests or things to help distract you (tv, movies etc)

maybe you missing work might isolate you from things and cause you to worry even more, but then again i can't have a say in that because i don't work at the moment nor do i know i exactly know the pain you are dealing with

• Posted

Thanks for the replies..ever since I got back from Japan Friday I haven't been sleeping because of the pain ..I try but just lie there...my throat is killing me and it's making me wild to think it could just be anxiety

• Posted

maybe you're under stress from japan?

if i remember from what i read

stress and the more you worry or stress out, it weakens our immune system and our muscles can be easily pulled or feel weird

it could just be that if the sore throat occured after worrying so much?

• Posted

Have you had any fever since returning from the trip you mention in comments above?

You don't mention if they did any blood tests?

A chest ultrasound could have been done to ensure you have no liquid in your lungs. Though some shadow would have show up on x ray.

Your symptoms, if there is no chest or oesophagal infection that can be ruled out by blood test, sound like a bad case of acid reflux.

Where in the chest is the 'crushing pain' located?

Does the pain come and go? Is it positional? Other symptoms?

• Posted

Yes I did get a blood test...upper middle of chest is where I feel the pain like where you can no longer feel your esophagus and hit bone. I also feel slight pain if I take a deep breath...also when I lay my head on my chest and unfortunately the pain is constant and it's giving me lots of anxiety ..I'm scared this won't get better it's already been a while ...my chest and throat felt sore in Japan but because I had a runny nose I thought it was just a chest infection...but apparently it not even though it feels like a horrible one

• Posted

Avoid spicy foods, soft drinks, vinegar and sugary foods for a few days. Try to not eat close to beddtime. Have your bowels movements been regular? Is your apetite normal? Also you can safely take some gaviscon to see if symptoms improve any.

You could have some oesophagitis that is aggravated by any stress induced acid reflux (vicious cycle there...). Sleep slightly elevated or on the left side. If you have an aggravated oesophagus the symptoms may take a while to clear (a few weeks actually). If you are very worried you could ask to be referred to a gastroenterologist for an evaluation, though if you are very young i would rather sit and wait it out for a few weeks by managing it at home. Gastro would prescrive acid suppressing drugs but these cause other upsets and may actually prolong healing.

If your symptoms worsen or change you should feel free to go back to ER for another evaluation any time.

If it turns out to be stress induced, you may benefit from some therapy.

Before your trip to Japan did you have anxiety issues?

• Posted

i googled heartburn just to see what it was, its connected to anxiety and also feels like food stuck in throat so maybe thats it
    • Posted

Yah I've had some difficulties...2 years ago I found out my wife cheated and my two year old son wasn't mine ...walked away from the child left my home and had to restart I went to the ER shortly after with chest pains ...I went to Japan and was asking for their daughters hand in marriage and was told we are adults and can decide ourselves if we do choose and her family didn't seem to love the idea of her marrying someone English speaking guy and taking their daughter half way across the world ...plus our wedding is coming up soon....I have to do alot of paperwork and plan a beautiful wedding plus out of the last 1.5 years of us dating 9 months has been apart because she couldn't renew her visa...so yah I'd say I have some anxiety

• Posted

One thing at a time in that case.

If you continue to worsen and especially if your sleep is poor, you could consult a psychiatrist or psychotherapist for assistance to help you through the challenging times. If you are already prone to tension, even positive stress is still taxing on the system.

Is there a way for you and your fiance to spend more time together before the wedding by the way?

Try the suggestions above to ease your oesophagal symptoms, which i feel probably stem from some stress-induced acid overflow smile

Let us know how you get on.

All the best

• Posted

Thanks .. appreciate it..now my throat is just killing me . The anxiety symptoms are dissipating. Just hate this feeling of something lodged in my chest ..thanks for the responses
    • Posted

try gaviscon and see if you get any relief at all. It can't harm --- it can only help or do nothing. It coats your oesophagus so should give relief as well as protect somewhat from further acid damage.

If gaviscon fails, try strepsils in case you have a case of oesophagitis. Strepsils will desinfect any lesions in there. Or honey and lemon!

Either way have some chamomile tea to help loosen up your muscles.

Try one after the other and see what feels better. I am leaning towards reflux oesophagitis. Otherwise you would have some fever and blood tests would show inflammatory responses.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.