Chest Tightness

Posted , 5 users are following.

Just wondering do everyone feel chest tightness all the time in COPD. It feels like someone has tied a rope around my chest. Please help ?

0 likes, 24 replies

24 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I can only speak for myself. Mine doesn't happen all the time though. Only when I'm stressed and short of breath. Sorry, not much help, but you aren't alone.
  • Posted

Hi abhi

All I can say is, it's not unusual. If you are ever worried, go back to your GP and ask to see the COPD nurse, thats if the practice as one of course.

Sorry that I am not much help. Like Krissi-You are not alone.

Best wishes.

Kev  (UK)  rolleyes

• Posted

What does your doctor  or practice nurse say and what stage of COPD have you reached?
    • Posted

I have seen 4 docs till now.One said I have COPD rest said its moderate persistent asthma. I am 31 yrs of age. Somked for 10 yrs(5-10 ciggs on average). Have asthma. The feeling that I have right now doesnt seem to be of asthma. I am confused to whats wrong with me ? Is it really COPD or is it something else ? these are my latest PFT resluts done by my 5th doc,

FVC - 93%

FEV1 - 86%

FEV1/FVC - 73%

• Posted

I came to know that I am diabetic. Which the doc said is strange as I dont have any family history not even any of my grand parents. 
    • Posted

Go back to your doctor or another doctor if you have to and get it figured out. ie. do you actually have copd or is it persistent asthma? 
    • Posted

I don't understand why that would be strange:   many people have diabetes with no family history,

Persistent asthma can lead to COPD so maybe you're not quite there yet:  surely the important thing is to get the appropriate medication and get yourself to rehab, if you are developing COPD, which is likely if you were a smoking asthmatic rehab is the way to go and ASAP

• Posted

The reason for it being strange is because of my age as I have just turned 31. I was never a heavy smoker. I don't smoke anymore. 
    • Posted

If you've had asthma all your life that can lead into COPD but you're certainly young to be diagnosed.   Maybe it would be better to focus on being well by whatever means you can via medication and rehab rather than on what's caused it?   You can have a lot of control over management of COPD, but obviously none over whatever caused it
  • Posted

It's not unusual to feel chest tightness with copd.  I experience it on occasion, not all the time.  None of us on this forum are doctors or experts, go and see your doctor and address your concerns with her or him. 
    • Posted

At-least I am happy that my current doc. said that she will get to the bottom of this and help me in the best possible way that none of my other docs said. I hope its not COPD. Fingures crossed.
  • Posted

Hi abhi3112

I don't feel chest tightness all the time.  Only when lungs are in difficult, if I have a chest infection or if the air is too cold to breath.  

If your diagnosis is COPD and you are not taking inhaler meds this may also cause this symptom or if you are not taking the inhaler meds properly and the medicine is not getting to the lungs.

I would say the same as others check back with your GP, respiratory nurse to be sure you technique is correct when using the inhalers.

Better to try and see your doc asap incase you have a chest infection, treatment for these should not be delayed.

Best wishes V

• Posted

thanks Vee2, I have been on inhalers for about 7 months now. the nurse did ask me to show how I use them and she was satisfied. I have been on a antibiotic course for a week in past 7 months. Sometimes I feel its improving sometime it feel worst. Right now I am on singulair and a inhaler 2 puffs twice daily. My lower back does hurt for which I was prescribed ibuprofen that helped. What concerns me is that if its not COPD what all docs said except one then what is it ? I read that if you have persistent breathing issues for over 6 months you are at risk of COPD.
    • Posted

Persistent chest tightness should be checked out ASAP.  As well as the inhalers, are you or have you done a rehab course to learn correct breathing techniques?  I strongly recommend it
    • Posted

If you go back to your doctor to explain the symptoms of the chest pain your doctor will infectigate further, its a serious matter if you do have a chest infection and your don't get it treated as this could cause further lung damage.

Any breathing difficulty and chest pains doesn't automatically mean you have COPD you could have any other lung condition or a cardiac problem but only if you go back to see your doctor who can refer you for further investiation will you ever know what the problem is.

We are not doctors here and we cannot diagnose, but a doctor can.

• Posted

LOL same advice as you gave kissi in her post abhi
    • Posted

True Vee..I like to give hope and be hopefull..I still feel I don't have COPD. It is something else as I have imporved overtime. Lets hope I am right. I dont smoke anymore and never will nor even get close to anyone who smokes. There is a saying "Health is Wealth". Now I realize its importance. We could have done so much with the money
    • Posted

I strongly suggest you get off the computer and have your chest pain checked out URGENTLY.  That is much more important than your concern about a correct or incorrect diagnosis of COPD, which if you do have it will take years to kill you.   Do you know how many people die of heart attacks because they ignore warning signs?

Sorry to be blunt, but I don't understand why you're not getting this checked out with a doctor as a matter of urgency

• Posted

Jude, I have seen 6 docs. till now. one of them was a pulmonary expert who did a ECG to check if my heart is ok.As expected my heart is normal. My current doc has asked me to take ibuprofen for pain. I have been feeling better now. but this asthma with chest tightness is bothering me a lot. I have asked her for CT scan. I am waiting for my next appointment. Dont know what will happen next.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.