Chest X-rays and Chest CTs

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hey guys I'm new to this forum and had a few questions maybe you guys can help me out with. Recently I had a spontaneous pneumothorax on the 6th of July. That day I took 2 chest X-rays, they saw my lung collapsed and put a chest tube in me for the next day. The next day they took another 2 chest X-rays and gave me a chest CT just to make sure everything was okay because they saw a gap on the top and was wondering if it was a bleb which if it was I'd have to go through surgery, thank god everything was fine but I according to them I didn't place my arms correct so they had to run me through the machine again, I also had an IV contrast which didn't bother me at all I felt completely fine and no allergic reaction. They released me on the 9th and when they let me go they took 4 chest X-rays just to make sure everything was ok and to have on record what my lungs looked like when I left. On saturday the 25th I thought my lung collapsed again so I went into the ER again, they took another 2 chest X-rays and released me saying everything was okay. I'm just wondering it seems like a lot of scans and pictures, what is the limit? I'm 25 year old thin, male never in the hospital until recently because my health have always been good, I used to smoked until this happened as well and completely stopped. I'd like to stay away from all the scans and pictures but if I feel like my lung collapsed is there any other way for them to check if I'm okay? Am I at risk from all these scans? Please anyone that can help me answer my questions would be great, suggestions anything will help! 

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Around your age I had a spontaneous pneumothorax.  I was subjected to numerous x-rays over a 9 day period and some followups.   I also was worried about it recurring and had several more xrays to check over the years.  It;s thirty years later I'm still alive(Unfortunately I still smoke).  I have not ever been rediagnosed with a pneuomothoraxxx and have not yet been diagnosed with lung lesions or cancer.  I expect I will be but that's only due to my heavy long term smoking.  I have not had any effects from the pneumorthorax experience.
    • Posted

Tha k you for reply and it's great to hear that you haven't had another SP but I've been doing research reading articles and even using radiation calculators and what not online and it's been freaking me out! In the past 3 weeks I've got 10 chest x-rays and I guess considered 2 chest ct in 1 day around 15 msv and I'm just wondering if that is something to worry about? It's definitly above the natural background radiation, some articles say 0-100msv is low dose and doesn't matter others say otherwise, I hope you stay healthy bro and quit smoking soon!
    • Posted

I had a pneumothorax last week after having a pacemaker fitted and had four x-rays over a 36 hour period and another one four days later.

I'm sure that you have no need to worry. From the age of 7 to 11 I had a hip problem and probably had about five x-rays every month. After that I had them twice a year until I was around 14. Since then I have had quite a few on other parts of my body and at 80 do not yet glow in the dark nor have cancer.

It amused me a few years ago when I broke a bone in my foot when in Switzerland and had an x-ray there. The very stern looking German speaking radiologist put a lead apron over my midriff....To protect your manhood she said.

Present day x-rays are much cleaner than the ones of old.     

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.