chewed Mirtazapine, what will it do?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Last night I accidentally crunched up my mirtazapine tablet. it was on the plate and it stuck to my sandwich! The label says "swallow whole do not chew". Has anyone got experience of what might happen? I had more vivid dreams last night, but that might be a coincidence.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

You should be fine the only reason it says do not chew is simply for the amount of time before it breaks down and gets absorbed into your system.

You may have found that it hit you a bit faster than usual x

• Posted

It's fine. It just tastes horrible. At the moment I am tapering off mirtazapine and am grinding my pills to a powder and mixing them up in liquid form. It works fine.
  • Posted

Oh yes, you'll be ok, I used to worry about that but there won't be an outcome at all.  A lot of people break them up with a pill cutter when they are tapering, so it's perfectly fine.

Good job the dog didn't get it, or the cat smile  

x

• Posted

Thanks for the reassurance. Nothing untoward has happened -yet - but I will be more careful in future.
  • Posted

When i was taking them I was actually told to chew or suck them.
  • Posted

Hmmm. What was in the sandwich?
    • Posted

Ha ha! It was just margarine so I knew something was wrong when it crunched!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.