Chiari malformation type 1

Posted , 7 users are following.

Does anyone knows or recommend any clinic or hospital in the whole world who can treat chiari as my 26 years old daughter is getting worse she is in bed unable to eat bcoz of the sever pain unable even to hold a pen bcoz of the weakness in the hands arms muscles heaviness in both eyes and she already has lost her visual fields from the part of her right eye. She has no balance to stand feels dizzy her weight is 35kg

Any one can help please??

Thanks

Jehan

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Where do you live Jehan?

I had my decompression surgery in July 2016. Hospital UCLH Queen Sq London, neurosurgeon was Mr Kitchen, him and his team were amazing.

I feel so much better now, I'm almost leading a normal life.

Wish you all best in finding a suitable hospital & surgeon.

• Posted

Thank you season

I'm from Bahrain. Will try to contact the hospital you gave me.

Did you faced any complications during after the surgery

Best wishes

Jehan

• Posted

Hi Jehan

Had a small leak following surgery, still leaking a small amount of CSF fluid.

Other then that, all is well. Not all of my symptoms disappeared follow my operation however, as time passes I'm generally getting much better.

Good luck

• Posted

Hi, I'm so sorry to hear what your daughter is going through.

Mr Flint at Queen Elizabeth hospital in Birmingham, UK is the leading chiari neurosurgeon in the UK.

Where are you from?

If you're daughter's weight is so low chances are she's not fit for surgery due to her severe malnutrition state. I appreciate she's unable to eat, so have you explored artificial feeding options?

Chiari is strongly associated with tiredness and exhaustion and with her weight being this low would also be contributing to more weakness and tiredness.

Try to address her nutritional status in the meantime while you're finding a team to help her. (I'm a Dietitian, and would recommend you involve the dietetics team wherever you leave) Being severely underwriting and malnourished has far severe consequences than chiari.

I hope this helps

• Posted

Thank you Jehan for your reply

I was in uk until last October but couldn't get any appointment with Mr Flint but my daughter's condition getting much more worse than before. I'm really worried and don't know how to get in touch with Mr Flint

I live in Bahrain.

Please let me know if you know any chiari malformation clinics in the world

Best wishes

Jehan

• Posted

Mr Flint has a very long waiting list unfortunately. I was referred to him in August and my appointment would have been in April 2017. But I've been calling to see if there's cancelled appointments and have managed to get one for next week.

If you search for "Mr Flint neuorosurgeon" on Google, the last link on the first page brings up his work email address! That might be a way of getting in touch with him.

• Posted

Thank you so much jenaa

Wish you all the good luck for your treatment

Best wishes

• Posted

I have tried it as well but they told me they don't have any appointments

Thanks Best wishes

• Posted

Hi i hope your doughter been better now , can you tell me if you take your daughter to a neurosergeon in bahrain and what his name coze i need a surgery and im from bahrain and i dont know where to go 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.