Chiari on MRI but neurologist diagnosis: chronic migraine

Posted , 5 users are following.

After suffering from many symptoms I went to my GP ( March 2016) and then to a chiropractor who odered a MRI based on my complaints.  She suspected Chiari and the MRI showed that.  I went to my neurologist ( May 2016) with the MRI and he diagnosed chronic migraine and acknowledged the chiari but did not think it was causing the symptoms.  My GP also thought it was migraine.  I have been taking 40 mg amitriptyline which has helped alot but I began having terrifying hallucinations so my dose was reduced  to 30mg but symptoms are coming back.  My neurologist has recommended botox injections as the next step to help.  Has anyone had any success with these injections. I understand they will be on the forehead between the eyes, near the ears and back of the neck. Some of my symptoms include headache ( not severe) buzzing in my ears and head, visual problems- moving eyes back and forth sometimes is just too much, dizziness, tightness around and pressure on my chest, dull ache between my shoulder blades, tingling of lips and sometimes face, strange pulling sensation in my ears, sweating, chills, difficulty thinking and concentrating, stiffness, etc. etc.  Thanks for any thoughts or help you can give.  

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Go to a different Doctor!!!!! If your MRI says you have Chiari, get a different Doctor!!! I can't tell you how many times I see this crap!! Your would think someone with Neuro in their title would be better informed!! All of your symptoms can be due to Chiari- unbelievable how uninformed and idiotic these doctors are!!!!

Chiari is very rare and most Neuros don't know what it is!

What level does the MRI say you are at?

• Posted

You said it all, NEUROLOGIST. You need to see a NEUROSURGEON. Get on to your doctor, who probably knows very little about CM and ask to see a nuerosurgeon, if they refuse ask for second opinion or change doctors.                                                                                          Neurologists do not perform surgery. If one of their patients requires surgery, they refer them to a neurosurgeon.
  • Posted

HiJreyne,

I have seen that you have two people responded to you , so take their advice, do not leave it too long, as with my exprience, when I leave it too long because I did not want to have surgery was getting worse, oh dear...this is not a minor condition - which effected our Quality Of Life, so get Neurologist to refer you to a good Neurosurgeon. i was house bound in the end, but thanks to Mr Flint (Neurosurgeon in QE Hospital - Birmingham) I am now a fully asymptomatic chiarian. I have my life back. But be assertive, explain it to your health care professional how do you feel, how the condition result in diminishing your Quality Of Life, but believe me, it can be done..and YOU WILL HAVE YOUR LIFE BACK!!!

• Posted

Urgh. I'm frustrated for you. Trial the injections. I'm waiting for the botox head injections too. There's 32 injections that will administer and oddly enough I am excited about it. Everything you've said sounds like a chiari issue!

I was placed on 70 mg amitriptyline with no positive outcomes. it did stop the tingling in my feet, hands and face though.

Ask your gp to refer you to a neurosurgeon.

I was diagnosed by an amazing neurologist (after years of being fobbed off by neurologists and being told that I have a migrane) and he is now referring me to a neurosurgeon.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.