Child with Shingles Virus?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hello, I hope I can find some answers. My son now 13 yr old, went though a traumatic event when he was 10 mo. old. To sum it up, he experienced febrile seizures, stop breathing and had to be airlifted to a children's hospital. About 2-3 days from the hospital he developed a rash on the side of his face, it had small blisters in it, and got larger fast. I took him to multiple doctors but never received clarity. Almost 13 yrs later be still has this to appear. I have come to the conclusion from research that it is a shingle virus. Usually I can catch it and treat before it gets out of hand. It starts off as a reddened circular area, then forms multiple blisters in the redden area. He goes through this usually at least twice a year. I treat with Abreva and it usually clears up. This time, it's not working as effective? Can anyone give me any insight on this? I guess he will have this for the rest of his life.

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hello,

I am sorry that your 13-year-old son is having to deal with whatever this mystery rash may be. It might be shingles have you taken him to the doctor since he's gotten older?  I'm sorry this must be very frustrating for you too.

I was wondering if he received the chickenpox vaccine when he was younger?

I am very healthy and I've had recurring single since I was 12 years old.

Sincerely, Thinsport

• Posted

Tonya 30863,

Woundering if they were figured out with the mystery rash was?

Sincerely, Thinsport

• Posted

Tonya

I am sorry for your son getting a recurring rash. It is frustrating to you as the mother, and to him, as it is on his face.

Does it follow a dermatome pattern or are the blisters contained in a circle? How big, ie, what is the diameter of the circle that you mentioned?

Where exactly is it on his face?

Is the rash near the ear or the eye?

Does it cross the midline of the face?

Does he has accompanying symptoms such as headache, fever, chills, and sweating, aches and pains, malaise, exhaustion, and fatigue, headache?

Does he have any pain, such as burning, lancinating, underneath the rash, or itching?

Do the vesicle-blisters have clear fluid initially that scab over?

Have you taken him to a dermatologist when he has the rash?

Dermatologists can do scrapings of the vesicle-blisters with the fluid to ascertain if it is indeed Herpes Zoster-Shingles very accurate.

Blood tests can affirm if he was infected with the chicken pox virus, IgG, IgM-less accurate and time related to the rash.

I am a Nurse Practitioner in the States and have had had Herpes Zoster-Shingles every three to five weeks for the past twenty years in my right ear and twice in my right eye.

Sorry for the delay in responding to your post. My internet provider was down.

Best wishes

Merry Juliana

• Posted

Hello Merry, I've been reading your insights & comments on shingles with great interest. My 6 year old son had shingles last November. It was only a small patch of blisters just beneath his shoulder blade but unfortunately we realised it was shingles too late for any treatment. The blisters cleared quite quickly, but nearly 5 months later the poor boy is still not right. He has bouts of fatigue, hyper sensitive or itchy skin, a mild temperature from time to time and even sometimes a burning sensation on the soles of his feet. I am sure that he has PHN but cannot find any information anywhere on how to deal with this in such a young child. When I took him to the doctor today he was very dismissive & even questioned whether he'd had shingles in the first place despite the fact this had been diagnosed by one of his colleagues. Any suggestions on how I can help my son would be gratefully received as I do not know where to turn.

• Posted

Hi Lara,

First, I am so sorry for your son and for you. I know that when your son is suffering, you do as well. Physicians can be exceptionally arrogant and condescending. Some would do well to listen to the mother, and the patient.

Does your son have bouts of itchy or hypersensitive skin where the original rash was under the shoulder blade, accompanied by fatigue, an elevated temperature, and burning soles of feet, all about the same time?

Is he slightly irritable or cranky with this, maybe with aches and pains?

Is the dismissive physician a pediatrician or family practice physician?

How many bouts, excluding the original episode of Herpes Zoster Shingles has he had?

Has he been healthy, otherwise? Was he premature?

Sorry for all the questions, but I need to get a clear picture of what is happening to your son.

I look forward to hearing from you, Lara.

Best Wishes

Merry Juliana

• Posted

Thank you for replying so quickly Merry.

Yes, all of the symptoms happen around the same time. He does get cranky & irritable and also suffers from aches & pains, particularly in his back and neck. I think this has happened now 3-4 times since the original bout of shingles and is generally ok in between, although I would say not with the same berry levels as before.

He was born at 37 weeks so just not premature and had chicken pox very mildly as a baby. He has not had any other health problems.

Thank you for your time Merry.

• Posted

* energy levels, not berry levels!
    • Posted

Lara,

He is having recurrent Herpes Zoster Shingles without the rash, or "Zoster Sine Herpete." I have Herpes Zoster Shingles in my right ear every three to five weeks for the past twentyone years.

The signs and symptoms you describe are classic for recurrent episodes of Herpes Zoster Shingles. You are a very bright caring mother for observing and listening to your son's signs and symptoms. The varicella virus ccirculates in the entire body every episode and causes the flu-like symptoms, except for the respiratory system.

First, find an excellent pediatrician for your son. May I ask where you live?

I am concerned as your child may be immunocompromised. No child should have recurrent episodes of Herpes Zoster Shingles like that. You need to bring him to an excellent pediatrician who actually listens to the mother and will work him up. Remember, the squeaky wheel gets the oil. I have become a tigress on behalf of my son, when necessary.

Lara, you are quite welcome. I am very happy to help you, your precious son, and everyone who suffers from this disease.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.