chills and diverticulitis

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi

Has anyone experienced chills before or during an episode? I have been having chills for past 2 days even during the night. Getting scared I may be having a flare up. Even though I havd not fully recovered from the previous one.

Vivian

1 like, 19 replies

19 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Vivian, get yourself off down to the emergency room. Chills are NOT on. You need prompt medical assessment. Good luck!
  • Posted

I had chills before but only during episode ofacutierticulitis. You might need antibiotics. A doctor needs to assess your. Check your temperature too. If you are taking paracetamol check just before next dose is due as it may be masking fever. Same goes for ibuprofen but you should not be taking that in diverticular disease anyway
    • Posted

Hi

Thanks so much for your quick reply. Even though it is not ideal to have another episode I was afraid it could be something else in the colon. At least I know what to expext.

Vivian

• Posted

I agree, get to A&E and get yourself checked out as soon as possible.  I had chills too before I ended up in hospital, I take it as a sign of infection.  Better be safe than sorry (sorry, don't mean to scare you) but they are the best people to get you on to antibiotics as soon as possible.  best of luck
    • Posted

Hi

Thanks Laura. I will do that. This is awful but like you say better safe than sorry.

Vivian

• Posted

Yes.. I have had during an attack. Nasty stuff this diverticulitis.... In last couple of weeks for 2 days in a row I decided I was ok to eat Spagetti and then the very next day pizza..... wrong move.... within 2 days it had kicked in. So I have had 2 attacks in the past year both caused by my food choices. This is much better than the 2x monthly I was having before I went pro active on it.
  • Posted

I know it's all a matter of what works for you with your eating choices.  I try to be as careful as possible and do try to eat more of what I used to but not so often.  It's so difficult but I do find that I'm drawn to wanting to eat more and more pasta as it's easier on my digestive system.  I am trying to take probiotics though every day and find this really helps.  Best of luck
    • Posted

Hi laura and Sam

How are you doing Sam, big mistake I made last night. I ate fish and potatoes but not home made. I just took a Bentylol for the pain and probiotic. I am trying to avoid an infection. Thanks so much for your support.

Vivian

• Posted

Sometime we like to pretend we are like normal people and eat whatever... ha... then comes pay day.
    • Posted

Sam

I just realized this morning that this issue is here to stay.

Vivian

• Posted

Hi sam took me a while to figure out what i can eat and what i must not eat i only eat veg that grow above ground for eg green beans cauli broccoli i have given up eating potatoes and chips i eat plenty of fish but only baked fisg

• Posted

Hi Vivian

I find that the probiotics help and seem to keep things at bay but you know, who knows.  Everything is on a day by day basis and will be ongoing.  As long as I keep myself fit and healthy that's all that matters.  Also make sure you drink lots of water to keep everything moving too - that helps a lot.

• Posted

Hi Laura

Thank you that is what I am doing.

I will keep you posted. Please do the same.

Vivian

• Posted

Vivian, and others, Be sure to get tested for C-diff if you experience worsening symptoms, especially after taking antibiotics for diver.  I was given three different antibiotics for suspected diver in January and got more and more ill until a test revealed I had C-diff.  This doesn't just happen in nursing homes. It is caused by wide spectrum antibiotics in many cases.  The treatment is very expensive-another antibiotic at $320.00 (Canadian)  for the two weeks, but it can save your life. After about three days on this I was getting better and since then have had no big problems with either C-diff or diver.
    • Posted

Hi Lorraine

I was told to get tested after last year's colonoscopy but my GP did not make anything of it. Neither did the new Gastro. I went to see recently. Did you have any tests that prompted a C difficile test. I have been on antibiotics 3 times by tablets and once by intravenous in the last year and a half. It is just not normal anymore. I have this sort of chronic pain on the left side all the time kind of dull. Once it starts to flare up it gets really bad. What is the test like?

Vivian

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.