Choking

Posted , 5 users are following.

I have this embarrassing problem when I eat or drink I often choke.

When I go out its on my mind as I do it quite alot.

It can be on virtually nothing like a tiny piece of potatoe. It Dosnt get stuck it's like a tiny bit stops me breathing and them go into a coughing fit and keep having to clear my throat.

Sometimes ar night I choke on my own spit and it wakes me up its terrifying and I shake my heart races and I feel like I'm gonna die

Help dies anyone else get this and if so what do u do

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hiya I have this... its caused by anxiety... It took me to have a barium swallow which checks the functions of your throat to believe I was ok and it went for a good few years.. but recently have had a tough year which has made it come back... I have lost alot of weight from it as dont really want to eat but due to not eating I feel weak so decided to go docs who have now put me on citroplax an antidepressant I havent yet taken as am waiting for a councillor to see if I need it.. I dont have an answer to how to stop it as anxiety is in the mind but I thought I would comment so you know you are not alone smile

• Posted

Also I came on here looking for the same answer... it really sucks! sad

• Posted

Hiiii lauren

I've had a barium swallow to and it all came back normal.

I do panic when I eat especially at certain times.

Yesterday we went to my partners parents home fir dinner and sitting round that table with 9 of us and I chocked.

Soooooo embarrassing I literally can it breath.

Just want it to stop.

I inhale air when I try to beathe I'm which then makes me burp on top of the nit breathing it's soooooo scary

• Posted

It is embarrassing I completly get that... when I go out for meals I tend to just order things that my mind tells me are not hard to swallow to save embarrasement e.g lasagne ect but if I was you now you have had a barium swallow and still getting the symptoms I would go back to your doctor as they will be able to help you with the anxiety so it doesnt get worse.. my mother suffered from the same problem and she also suffered from health anxiety which I think rubbed off on me over the years .. have you had anything that could have triggered it eg stress
    • Posted

Hi there,

My Gastro guy after giving me a colonscopy and an endoscopy wanted to put me on Prozac for anxiety too!  I had a barium swallow that also said I was normal.  My first ENT told me I was fine to just eat.  I finally went to an ENT who specializes in swallowing and in 5 minutes after seeing me and giving me another special scope up my nostrils he said I have a swallowing problem and post nasal drip and wanted me to get a neurological exam.  Luckily the neurologist didn't find anything and now I am waiting to hear back from my ENT to see what to do next,  I am living in limbo and living on a liquid diet.  My neck and throat areas are getting so stiff too for stress.  I even went to an Osteopath Hollistic Doctor for her help too!  I need some answers and help.  Could all this be just from anxiety, or is the anxiety from being sick and not knowing creating all the anxiety???????

• Posted

I do this too, but I have achalasia. I choke on just about everything. Some days are better than others though and it can be quite painful. I've had the heller myotomy surgery to try and correct it and it did help some. But, that was 4yrs ago and now it's starting to get back to square one which is very frustrating. I hope you find some relief!

• Posted

I've had this problem for about 6 years. It seemed to start all of a sudden and I got my dad to take me to the doctors when I was 14 or so. They did not perform any tests they just made me out to be crazy. But this year it's gotten worse (now I'm close to 20) I've went to the doctor like 3 time then finally I went to the emergency. They finally put a referral for a scope. They keep saying its anxiety causing it but I don't get how anxiety can do such a thing. When I was younger I don't remember really experiencing anxiety. I swallow very weird and if I don't swallow that way I never fail to choke. For more dry foods I need to have some water in my mouth to swallow. And for liquids I need to swish it in my mouth a bit before I swallow. Some days are better than others. But lately my anxiety now has been messing with me. Because I know I have trouble swallowing I keep swallowing and I end up choking and it makes my heart race. One time my heart was beating so fast that I accepted that I was going to die. But of course I didn't, it just beats so fast. My suggestion to you (especially if you have free Healthcare in your country) keep going to the doctor if you don't feel better. Don't give up. I really regret giving up the last 6 years because its really biting me in the ass now.

• Posted

Hii

I've had the scope down and a barium swallow ??.

It's the most awful feeling when it happens.

O do suffer with post nasal drip whuch clogs my throat up and constantly feels like something is there.

Thanks fir your advice

X

• Posted

I also have post nasal drip. I take Nasonex for it but it doesn't completely help. The post nasal drip has been making me swallow saliva a lot. Sometimes I am unable to swallow for like 5 seconds after trying to and it will make me panic. I really hope it's not anxiety causing this. Never know because I have had a really scaring childhood and my mother is an alcoholic that is very difficult to talk too so doesn't really help. I've been trying to meditate lately and its been really good at calming myself down. I really hope I figure out the problem because this is becoming so unbearable to live with.

• Posted

I also have post nasal drip it's awful

I went to ent they have given me a new nose spray calked dymista it is actually very good

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.