Chronic abdominal pain

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi. I am a 47 year old male and new to the forum. Hoping someone can help and give me some idea of what is happening to me. I have been suffering pain from waking in the morning to going to bed at night. The pain is above my belly button and as recently started to move to my left and right sides. The pain can spend up to a hour or so on my right side in line with my belly button then move to my left side and then to above my belly button. There is no set patten to where the pain travels but its mainly upper left and right and above my belly button. The pain is not severe but is very uncomfortable. The pain will always be there but not at the uncomfortable stage. I have been suffering with this for 12 months if not longer. My GP says I have IBS and prescribed me with Mebervirene which do not help me. My GP thinks I may have HPylori and is waiting on results from a stool sample. My toilet habits are fine with no traces of blood or dark coloured stools, however I will get painful cramps after a bowel movement but not all the time. I do not suffer constipation or diarreha. I have not lost any weight and my appetite is not what it used to be I can still eat a full meal if it is put in front on me. I do get waves of sickness but not always vomiting and sometimes dizziness, but again not all the time. My main concern is the chronic pain that does not go away. I have forgotten what it is like to be pain free. The pain in my abdomen is not painful when i press in the area the pain is but is very warm to touch, warmer that other parts of my abdomen. However the pain will worsen with work duties or washing my car as a example. A little history of my health is. i suffered a duodenal ulcer over 20 years ago and have always had a feeling of hardness above my belly button. I have also been diagnosed with high blood pressure and raised cholesterol levels and treated with omerprazole for acid reflux.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Mark

H.pylori usually presents with a lot of acid reflux, you do not mention that you suffer with acid reflux so I will be surprised if your test for Hp is positive

Have you been tested for a hiatus hernia, they are very painful and present at the top of the stomach and pain can radiate around that area.

Also, if your Hp test is negative, perhaps request an ultrasound scan to your gp.....I am surprised you have put up with the pain for a year!!....best wishes...

• Posted

Hi Lillian,

Thanks for your reply.

Yes I do suffer acid reflux and have done for some time now. I take omerprazole 1 daily. Without them I suffer. My main concern is the constant discomfort I'm going through. My GP beleaves it to be IBS and HPylori combined causing the chronic pain.

Thanks Mark

• Posted

Hi Mark

In that case yr test may well be +ve for H.pylori which is treatable with antibiotics...

Hope things work out well for you...let us know the result of yr Hp test..best wishes..

• Posted

Hi

Does sound like IBS, (Irratable Bowel Symdrone).

Not a pleasant thing to have.

Hope you results are fine so that they can just concerntrate on those symtoms.

I take Lansoprazole 30mg, very good.

Are they going to put a tube down to see what is going on ?

Best wishes and I hope they get to the root of the problem soon.

• Posted

Hi Kevin,

Not had the scope done as yet. Dont fancy having one either to be honest, but if I need to, then so be it.

GP done, full blood count, full physical abdoman check and now I am waiting on stool test results for Hpylori. I am also waiting on appointment with a Dieatician.

What I do find strange is, I have been told to stop my omerprazole 10 days before my stool test and find I am not having as much reflux as I would have expected.

Will wait to see what the results bring.

Thanks

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.