Chronic Back Pain

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi all, 

I have been suffering for the last 12 years with back pain. And to cut a long story short theres nothing that the nhs can do for me apart from keep me pain free, which involoves me taking Tramadol & Pregablin.

Does anyone have any ideas on helping with pain during the evening? im only getting about 3 hours a night sleep  [sad]

Also I am looking for a Fitness partner who would like to go on walks or maybe gym/fitness classes as im putting on weight due to not being able to do exercise for long periods of time.( which is getting me depressed )

I live on the border of Fallowfield / Burnage and would love to find someone who has something in common ( i work in a gym so gym fees are not needed ) 

Phew !!!! sorry for rambing on biggrin

Also does anyone have any ideas on helping with pain during the evening? im only getting about 3 hours a night sleep sad

0 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Kellyhu39,

Am a fellow sufferer - 30+ years sad( won't bore you with all the symptoms and things I've tried to no avail, but try lying on the floor with your legs up and over a sofa or chair seat. Also a small cushion under your bottom and try to get your bottom as close to the base of the seat as possible. I usually spend about an hour like this before going to bed, but I changed my bed in March to

N:Rem sleep systems - they are on facebook - have a look - they will send you a trial for virtually nothing and for me it is absolutely wonderful!!

Where I walked around all night as couldn't sleep with the pain, and actually hated the thought of going to bed, it is now difficult for me to get up in the morning!!

Its worth the trial - they are not pushy, and it may just work for you.

Also I have acupuncture and massage which has helped.

Hope this is helpful

Sue

• Posted

Hello kellyhu,

try fresh air and walking as much and as often as you can,  taking a seat or cushion with you to sit on walls along the way,  start small and build up, no rush or time factor just small distance,  you meet people along the way and even just a few minutes chat here and there helps with relaxing and easing tensions that build up in the body.   My mobility is very bad but I get out as often as I can, and those are nights when I sleep better.

Another thing that works for me is getting up when I wake,  it takes a while for my body to get used to laying down so I usually only manage an hour or so, get up visit bathroom and have a wander round the place then back to bed,  might be a couple of hours next time and then up again - another wander around for 10 or fifteen minutes and back to bed,  next sleep can last 3 or 4 hours,  it means an early start for bedtime but it seems to help the joints and muscles get used to being in a different position.    It might just be me and the issues I have with joints and muscles but this works for me.  Nothing worse than tossing and turning getting even more stressed and tensed then starting the day off badly.

Warmest regards

Jessie x

• Posted

Thanks guys. ive been for a short walk today which has hlped me to feel better. Is there anyone who'd likie to join me ????

Hopefully ill sleep tonight !

• Posted

Hello Kellyhu,

How are you after your walk?   Sorry I can't join you - I live to far away!

Hope you slept better and continue to feel better.

Warmest regards

Jessie x

• Posted

Hi jessie.

My walk went OK. Im still struggling during the night.

Any ideas???

• Posted

Hello Kellyhu,

pleased the walk was ok,  try to take them as often as you can, make them a little longer each time - mind it is getting to the time of year when getting out is difficult and not even possible at all,  I hate it !

No idea's to help with sleep apart from walks during the day.  When I can't sleep I get up and try to do something to occupy my self,  have even ironed on occasions lol,   you do have my sympathy.

Warmest regards

Jessie x

• Posted

hello, glad i found this page my pain started up and I just fignored it until I couldnt anymore I take tramadol, melaxicam, voltren gel I also have trouble sleeping I go to bed with pain and start my day with pain I am

to get some injections in my back has anybody had them yet i am also getting frausterated  depressed

• Posted

Hi Gloria, I have had the injections in my back, I had four in total and am sorry to say they were a waste of time and NHS resources. I have a condition called spinal stenosis and that together with my hip problem(too long and complicated to go into).  I take tramadol, pregabalin and have just been told to try co-codomol by Dr. Kirkby at the pain clinic. He has written to my G.P. To inform her of his decision. I go back to the Walton Centre on the 20th of this month to discuss with him if the injections have worked or not and to see what the next step is. I can tell you that my back pain is so bad after 10/15 minutes of standing and walking around the kitchen to prepare meals. It's no joke either. So these painkillers don't work either. So it's back to my G.P. On Monday for her opinion.

good luck with everything. X

• Posted

I forgot to mention I take amatryptalene at night for the sleeping and yes that works. Xx
    • Posted

finally someone I can talk too

I also have hip pain, I go for my injections on the 15th of this month I am getting started on flexeral  the tramadol is not helping its like a band aid maybe not even a band aid  My Dr. is Dr Pratt,

• Posted

Hi Gloria, good luck with the injections, is the back pain in your lower back. Mine is the lower, take this morning for instance, my hubby brought my breakfast in bed, then he has to help me getting dressed as I can't bend to get my undies and trousers on, he also has to help me with my brace, I then get washed, brush my tea and by the time I have walked down the stairs, my back is killing, I sit down for 10 minutes, then went to the kitchen washed a few dishes and that was it my back then starts again. 

That is my typical day. I do have a wheelchair but won't go in it unless I really have to.

i have never heard of flexeral, hope it works for you

look forward to hearing from you 

• Posted

hello Cathy, sorry it took long to response I dont use  back brace Ii does take me a few minutes to dress my pain is getting worse my legs hurt all the time

​i am fraustrated I feel like a see saw   cant find a comfortable position the flexeral puts me too sleep and i feel like a zombie doesnt take the pain away

​dont like it  here is my e-mail in case you want to talk [email removed]

Emis Moderator comment: I have removed the email address as we do not publish these in the forums. If users wish to exchange contact details please use the Private Message service.

http://patient.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/398331-private-messages

• Posted

Hi Gloria, lovely hearing from you, pain is a nightmare at times. My knee is bothering me now, I can hardly walk, I am now on co-codomol and 2 100mg tramadol, plus pregabalin for my legs. I see my consultant for my hip at southport and one for my back at the Walton centre next week. I am allowed to take my brace off next week, boy will I be glad, but on the other hand I will have to be really careful how I bend otherwise it might dislocate again. 

watch this space x

• Posted

hello had my inj this morning for my lower back which included both my hips, Im at home righ now,t just woke up back still hurts and my legs hurt legs feel like someone is teairing them apart dont know how to discripe just know they hurt​ going to try to send you my email thru the message service they
    • Posted

Hi there, your legs may settle down as I hope your back will do. What works for one doesn't always work for another. 

Do you use Facebook, you could private message on their. 

Hope by the time you are reading this your pains have subsided .

xxx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.