Chronic back pain

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi,

Hope someone can help me.

I have been experiencing chronic lower back pain for around 8 months now. I am currently waiting on an MRI for the spine in December. I already had an I Cat scan which was all clear. I am currently taking 600mg lyrica and 8 x 30/500 co-codamol per day. I am crawling the walls with this pain. Also in April 2015 they discovered a large cyst in my brain afrer an MRI scan as they thought I had MS - could this be connected?

Any ideas regarding the back pain?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Ewing1979

Firstly, try and I know its hard to not panic, the cat scan is not the clearest in any case, and thats the reason they have ordered a MRI scan, the MRI is the best bringing up all the details, maybe the cat scan didnt reveal everything, I live in constant pain with my spine too so I know only too well what its like agonising, I too am on the same amount of the same meds, this only kills the pain for a couple of hours for me, I have 2 discs missing and lower atheritic spine, my Mum is bedridden with the same problem as me, I had a MRI done 4 years ago.

If there was a cyst then maybe I think it would have manifested itself by now and even the doctor would have picked up on it.  Best way forward is to pick up the phone and ring the MRI Department or the appointments line tell them you are in total agony and cannot sleep with the pain, ask them to bring your appointment forward, they can and they will, tell them nothing is working for you, phone your GP and tell him or her you need this doing earlier because you are in pain and cannot sleep with it, youd be surprised how the medical system moves when you put the pressure on, at least you will get seen to straight away, tell them you will be available for last minute cancellations you should then be seen within a week hopefully. Meanwhile, please dont make yourself ill with worry, your moving forward and doing the right thing and hopefully they will get to the bottom of this quickly, as long as your not being sick or losing weight hopefully you will be just fine and what ever the finds are with your back there may be a solution at hand. All the best and keep us updated on the outcome.

• Posted

do you think I would need spinal surgery? what do you think it could be
  • Posted

Have you tried acupuncture or a Tens machine( with your GP'S permission) I cannot take any form of pain killer except paracetamol, which doesn't touch it. Instead I use the Tens every day and if I can't sleep I use a heat radiating cream. The smell is enough to send anyone off!

I had 2 MRI scans three weeks ago and am going for the result in a week. So far this latest bout of pain , brought on by a fall, has lasted eleven months. Good luck.

• Posted

Hi Ewing1979

There is a chance it might be a trapped nerve. because I have 2 discs missing and my lower back is atheritic, it is causing my sciatic nerve to be pinched the pain is out of this world I also get cramp in my hamstring muscle and sharp pains in the leg, in your case it may be a nerve being pinched that could be causing it, I have heard that its better not to have surgery, I for one cant because I have breathing difficulties also and they think its too risky, however, it seems most back sufferers have steroid injections which seem to do the trick, that might be a way out for you if its your spine depending on what your doctor advises.  Try not to let it worry you too much I know its hard, take it one day at a time and dont forget to phone up the MRI dept as well as the doctor telling them its keeping you awake.  It could be something small like a nerve that is causing so much trouble and if so hopefully an injection will help you, it seems the doctors dont always like to operate unless it is absolutly necessary these days, and sometimes its better that way,  keep in touch and let us know how you get on

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.