Chronic back pain and Radiofrequency Denervation

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi i would like to hear from anybody that has had this procedure and what the outcome was. Did it work? Where you left with any side effects? My problems started in 1992 when diagnosed with Sciatica, i was 23! I had part of a disc removed in 1996 whereby my spinal cord was punctured during the op. After months of lying flat in hospital i was allowed home and although i did get about 2 yrs of just light pain unfortunatly i have had chronic lower back pain ever since. I was on 8 Dhydrocodiene tabs a day for 12 yrs before i was referred to a pain clinic! I now suffer from Osteoarthoritis in my back knees and right hip and a Hietus Hernia. For the last 3 yrs i have been taking OxyContin and OxyNorm for break through pain. I have had all the back injections and because i got some relief but only for a few weeks not months i am being offered this Radiofrequency Denervation. I am still only 44 yrs old but for nearly half my life iv had chronic pain. I am nervous with regard to this procedure because of what happened to me in the past so if i could here from anyone that has had it done or no,s more about it id love to hear from you. This is the first time ill have spoken to anyone about chronic pain but i think i need to hear from people who can relate to me.I feel the few folk i do have to talk to must get so fed up with me (although they never say so!) Thanks    

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I  have heard and read about the RF nerve work, but I would NOT do it.  I'm 76 and back OA started when I was 18....and work on my OA with many alternatives and all is worse since hip replacement in 2010, groin pain is gone, but the major surgery left my body pretty messed up overall.     

It's a big gamble with this nerve stuff, and I stretch, Ice/Heat, use topicals, and lots of other supplements for OA.....no drugs but ibuprofen and DGL licorice for stomach protection......

Maybe you will hear from others.  Joy 76 US

• Posted

Hi Joy

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply to me. Im so glad you managed to get rid of some pain. Yes as is the case so often we start with one condition but end up with even more issues wether that be the aftermath of surgery or the side effects of medications! I take my hat off to you for managing without drugs because now on top of my original health problems i am now also addicted to stong analgesics!!

It is a shame that so far i have not heard from anyone who has actualy had this procedure. 

Thanks again

Lorz

• Posted

Hi Lorz, I just came across your post and realise it is now 8 months old but am wondering if you went ahead with radiofrequency denervation. I have had it done twice in the past - once on lumbar and second time on my cervical spine. I am now on the waiting list to have my lumbar spine done again. For me it was a godsend and gave me long term relief. The nerves do grow back, but mine took around 18 months. I had the denervation done on a Friday and went back to work the following Monday. The healing pain I encountered was not a patch on the pain I had been suffering from. I was able to walk again without being in tremendous pain. It would be good to hear if you went ahead with it. Best wishes, Paula
  • Posted

I just wanted to share with anyone with back pain that a friend of mine had had intense back pain for quite awhile  He got a pacemaker for his back nerves and has had no pain since.  Just thought someone else might be helped by this.
  • Posted

I have had it done and I didn't get any relief from it.  Obviously the choice is yours but I have had numerous things tried on my back and most have not worked.  Please feel free to email me with your questions and I will give you the procedures that have been tried on me and the results.  Good luck.   Sincerely, Tom Kozlowski

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.