Chronic Bronchitis

Posted , 12 users are following.

Hi,

I have finally been diagnosed I assume correctly, with Chronic Bronchitus. I feel pretty good but I am now starting to cough. It is not frequent but it is sometimes bad. Very little mucus at this point. I am looking for any fellow sufferers as to how to best manage it. I take Breo, which pulmonary doc says is keeping my pft's normal range.

I am pretty scared about implications of perhaps coughing all the time. Is that what most sufferers do? I realize that this may sound simplistic but I am looking for any comments/advice. I am also worried about my work as a tutor, which obviously will be very adversely affected.

Anyone in a similar situation? Thank you very much. Anything that helps?

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I have emphysema, not bronchitis, but cough very little since being prescribed with a Symbicort (cortisone) inhaler:  prior to that I had broken sleep due to coughing off and on all night and could only get some relief by sleeping sitting up in an armchair.

I have no idea whether that would be appropriate for bronchitis but someone on this forum will almost certainly know more.

• Posted

Thank you, Jude. I am on Breo which is basically the same as Symbicort. It is working according to my doctor but not for the cough. The bronchitis comes and goes for now.
  • Posted

Hi ,I have Bronchietis and asthma ,I have spells where I cough quite a lot ,

go onto youtube they show breathing exersises to open your air ways ,done properly and regularly they should help ,a good cough from deep down to shift the  mucus from deep in your lungs is better than just coughing Tom upper chest ,I'm aged 69 just returned from a gym  session  where I did 3 Klm on the tread mill in 43 minutes ,,,so it's not the end of the world ,,,,be positive and exersise,and get on with your life ,,,,don't look for something to worry about ,,,,it's a day to day thing ,

• Posted

Thank you, Nanny. That is very helpful to me. I willl go and look at the breathing exercises. I know it is not the end of the world, I do exercise. But I do worry. I wish you the very best. Everyone here is very helpful.
  • Posted

I spent over a year on a quest to find out how to quell my cough.  Over that time It never got better only worse.  Finally I was diagnosed with pulmonary hypertension and now take antibiotics on a regular basis.  It provides relief.  The doctor told me I could not be cured but this 2 weeks on 2 weeks off regimin of antibiotics would enable me to have a better quality of life for the duration.
    • Posted

Thank you. I am sorry that you have pulmonary hypertension, that must have been a really tough year before your diagnosis. I am very glad that the antibiotics help you. Best to you!
  • Posted

hi my husband has just been told he has chronic bronchitis at 55 years old but he only has a mucus produtive cough mainly morning or after lying down . he does smoke roll ups and has done since being 14 years old although he is not what i would say a heavy smoker. the doc said he has lungs of a 85year old and as given him an ijaler to use when sob but he never is. he is trying to stop smoking by using a ecig and i am hoping he will as i have had a lot to do with copd through my work i know it can be managed so much better if you stop smoking and keep active. i have noticed he is often tired and wondr if this is all part of it

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.