Chronic constipation

Posted , 6 users are following.

Does anyone know a good natural remedy for chronic constpation what you will not become dependant on? Also what kinds of foods will help with constipation that I can eat every day? 

1 like, 18 replies

18 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Do not take laxatives for any period of time unless told to by your doctor. Are you on any drugs that might be causing the constipation? Drink lots of water. Lemons are supposed to be good, juice mixed with olive oil first thing in the morning on an empty stomach or mixed with warm water during the day. Exercise helps and a swift walk can get you moving. Lots of fibre foods and bulking fibre. I have heard that mollasses work too. Also having a stool (the type with legs not the poo type!!) under your feet when you go to the loo, in fact a squat loo is supposed to be much better, but having a hole in the ground is not necessarily what you want in your bathroom! 
  • Posted

I am still taking painkillers after operation last week. This could be causing the problem. I do feel a little better today and have drunk lots of boiled water with fresh lemon I have taken senokot yesterday and today and think it is starting to work so fingers crossed Thanks for the advice a stool under feet really does help x
  • Posted

Thanks for your comments. I have neer heard of Senekot but will check into that and Ptolemy good advice! I have actually heard of those things you mentioned..now I have to work on doing a few of those things. Sometimes we dont realize just how backed up we are until we take a laxative or drink prune juise which was my case. Even though I go to the bathroom every day or other day sometimes I dont go ENOUGH!! I drank some prune juice yesterday and I went about 5-6 times yesterday and still going today ahaahaha...it's important that we go poo enough. I don't use laxatives anymore. I dont want to become hooked on them. I will try adding more fiber to my diet..I walk enough, and I need to include more fiber in my diet as well as look into Senekot. The lemon thing sounds good too and all natural   
    • Posted

Senokot is a brand name for a laxative. It sounds like your gut is pretty healthy from what you say. I have just read a book called Gut by a German doctor. I really enjoyed it. It is easy to read and quite amusing. She really goes into poo!! 
  • Posted

No I wont take laxatives lol I would get addicted to them 
  • Posted

Hello,   eat an orange before your evening meal or main meal of the day - Everyday.  Pop Corn is also a good fibre and is low calorie.   You do need fat in your diet to help grease the system so don't cut it out altogether even if you are watching your weight.  

A laxative that can be used occasionally is LACTULOSE,  it works by softening the stool, fluid is directed to the bowel,  this will not cause you to lose weight at all or become addictive is used now and then.  Drink plenty of fluid, eat fruit and veg as much as you can.

Hope this helps.

Warmest regards

Jessie x

• Posted

Hi. Thanksv my GP prescribed Laxido they seem to be helping

Kind Regards

• Posted

Hi Pearl

today i`ve been prescribed Laxido. Could you tell me how quickly

it took effect. I took a sachet ten o`clock today. Its now two thirty and

not a sign of any movement. Has it worked quicker with you? thanks

for your help

• Posted

Hello It took a few days. My Dr. prescribed one sachet a day but I ended up taking one in the morning and one before bed I think they are very mild. Sorry couldn't be if more help.
    • Posted

Hello  thanks for your reply. I was prescribed 2 a day so i should give it more time to see if they work. At the moment i feel as if nothing will work. thanks again
    • Posted

Hello gerald -  and to pearl,    try an orange before and as part of your main meal.  I take strong pain meds and find the orange works a treat for me.  If you find the fruit to be to tart for your taste buds put a spoonful of sugar over it - sugar is not the best thing for us but it beats life with constipation!    I peel my orange with knife, top and tail then take the skin off top to bottom, cut into rounds and then bite size pieces, I eat it as I am getting whatever else ready and thats it eaten and out of the way,  ALDI has beautiful oranges,   have tried other big shops but it is the only place I find sweet oranges.   Always before your meal,  I think that might be the secret,  have a google on the benefits of oranges, they help your digestion in many ways,  it is not just vit.C that they are known for or help with colds.

Anything is worth a try and I hope you can them a go - nothing to lose, would be good to hear if they also work for others in this respect.

Warmest regards

Jessie x

• Posted

Hello

I would like to share my experince to help others, 2 years ago got constipitation problem which is still struggling with time to time, but I can say more or less is under control by doing:

1. morning start with cold fresh water about 1-1.5 liter

2. a breakfast mostly with bread with enough fiber, 6-8 g fiber/100g bread ( totally forget bread without fiber) + in some cases a sup of coffee, becasue it is helpful to relife constipitation

3. take a kiwi per day. this fruit is miracle for constipitation,

4. Then when I go to the toalett  start to massage my upper part of stomach ( under chest)  from right to left. this action stimulate the colon. beside of all these actions I need every 2-3 weeks take a tablet to solve possible constipitation problems, becasue I take some foods which is not good for me.

hope this can help you!

• Posted

thanks Sabalen I do drink water in the morning and then again at night...I drink about 60 ounces a day and I eat a few prunes plus drink prune juice when needed. I will try massaging my stomach to get things moving though lol. I have never heard of that but it makes sense.
    • Posted

Hello Freelancewriter,

me again, just thought of something else.  Sitting on the loo with your feet on a small stool - or upturned washing up bowl brings your knees / legs up into a crouch position, keep your back straight as possible though,  and the tummy massage,  using the heel of your hand start a kneading movement at the lower right side or your tummy and work your way up towards your belly button then go across to your left side and move down to your lower left side - a change of hands will be needed,  this is giving a bit of help to the natural colon movement, massage with the flat of your hand in the same direction can also be used.  Practice pulling in your lower tummy area as well to strengthen the muscle walls, quick in out pulls, this can be done anytime really but I find my memory is jogged at bathroom visits.  Sorry I forgot these things when I replied earlier, got my mind stuck on diet!

Warmest regards

Jessie x

• Posted

Yes massaging is helpful during stool, If you have still problem put a something under your feet (20-30 cm) it will ease stool.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.