Chronic ear infections

Posted , 3 users are following.

In desperate need of help!

I have suffered from ear ache since the age of 4 , throughout my teenage years I still suffered about 4 a year but after my son was born the last four years I have been getting ear infections every 2 months , ear drops do not help clear them up and make them worse. I have been backwards and forth to ent departments and seen numerous people. The doctors just send me to a&e now because they have no idea why I keep getting them.

I was was eventually told I have to live with it. I have to go to the ent every two months , my ear infection get so bad my hearing goes. I keep my ears very dry and do now swim.

please can someone help or give me advice on what the cause could be,

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi kate12666, sorry to hear about your recurring ear infections.

This link might be of interest to you:

https://patient.info/doctor/otitis-media-with-effusion

What other symptoms besides ear pain are you experiencing? Does the infection

affect your larinx as well? Are both ears affected?

• Posted

I also meant to ask: Do you have a diagnosis regarding the underlying cause of your ear pain?
    • Posted

Thanks for the link  and they haven't diagnosed anything other than chronic ear infections  but this is because they don't know why it keeps coming back and I have to live with it which is easier said than done when you can't hear anything and have a toddler to look after. They have gotten worse over the years but no one seems to know why. 

• Posted

Hi again, I think you would get more replies by reposting your question on the 'ear problems' group: 

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/browse/ear-problems-3342

The more specific details you mention the more relevant the replys are going to be.

You could describe the ear pain, for example if it comes and goes or if it is permanent, if it gets better with pain killers. Is it localised to your ears only or is it diffuse? Also you could mention if you get fever and other symptoms like a sore throat or runny nose. Do you have or had a perforated eardrum and pus coming out of your ear/ears? How was your ear infection treated? These are a few suggestions of the top of my head. 

Good luck and sorry I could not be of more help. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.