Chronic fatigue at 59

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi, I 'm pretty sure I have chronic fatigue; if not a post-viral fatigue of couple of months duration. I am 59 and  have had it in the past but this time it seems more extensive and debilitating. I also have a strong history of depression especially bipolar. I  have had the latter under satisfactory control for quite a few years so have felt I was making headway in my life -keeping really fit, meditating, attention to diet, well-organised, being productive at my job.

Now this has come along & while nowhere as severe as depression lethargy, it has "knocked me for six".       

With depression & mental ilness I have used my experience & the collective knowledge to counter the illness -eventually successfully.

With chonic fatigue it seems that what passes for knowledge is disputed and there are few in clear guideliness or conclusive research.

Has anyone got any bright ideas or should I just take the trial and error approach eg attempt modifications to diet, try yoga etc.?   

2 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

It's hard to know what's going on with you from your post. ME/CFS is a core set of symptoms, plus many others that can vary from person to person. One huge red flag for this illness is post-exertional fatigue or malaise (PEM). That is, when you do any activity, you get exhausted. Go to the "solve me/cfs initiative" website to see if the symptoms there resonarte with you. If they do, the next step is to go to a doctor and get a diagnosis. You need to have bloodwork done to rule out other illnesses. Many primary care physicians are not knowledgeable about ME/CFS, and will put down symptoms of fatigue to depression. That's why it's important to see an infectious disease doctor or a rheumatologist to get a proper diagnosis. It's only after you've gone through this whole process that you can make an informed decision about what to do. If you do have ME/CFS, you have to be very careful not to push through the fatigue, or you can make yourself worse and perhaps lessen your chances for recovery. There is no cure for this illness, but people can get better. Get plenty of rest and pace yourself. Gentle yoga can be a good thing if you're able to do it. In my case, I was unable to do yoga, as it made my symptoms worse. By the way, there is a big difference between chronic fatigue, which can be associated with many diseases, and chronic fatigue syndrome, which is a specific illness.

• Posted

Hi quizmo, sorry to hear that you are feeling bad again! I've had CFS for 25 years and also suffer from generalized anxiety disorder, which makes things even more difficult. 

I wish I had some bright and new ideas, but I'm afraid that trial and error is the best approach at trying to get better again. I go through periods where my symptoms seem to get worse, and then I spend time working on pacing myself, taking vitamins, getting the proper rest and exercise, and reducing my stress levels. All these things seem to help. 

Hope you start feeling better soon! KPD

• Posted

I'm sorry to hear you are going through this. We have some things in common. I also have depression and bipolar and now chronic fatigue. My CFS is better than it once was. I started a cocktail of magnesium, coq10 300mg,L cartine, and daily vitamin.. Although it didn't take all my fatigue away I sure can function better. I wondered one time does this really help.. Then I got the stomach flu and didn't take it for 5 days.. I noticed a big difference. I don't know that this cocktail works for everyone but I read it somewhere and tried it. I hope this helps… Cherie

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.