chronic fatigue syndrome

Posted , 11 users are following.

Can chronic fatigue syndrome cause mental problems. My memory is bad I just cant seem to think straight, the brain fog came on literally overnight and I'm stiff as a board I just don't feel right at all and its so so difficult to describe the illness I have,I've always been healthy and fit and now I feel knacker shooting pain and stiffness all over and bed by 9:00pm am 38 going on 98 what's going on love for some advice. Thanks in advance for any response

0 likes, 29 replies

29 Replies

Next
  • Posted

i don't know about 'cause' but memory problems can certainly be a symptom of CFS. I really have to slow right down to give me a chance of remembering anything at all.

• Posted

Interesting that you brought up this subject as I have come very close to starting the same line of discussion!  I think you are right, Danny.  Of course, at my age some memory slipping is, I guess, expected; however, for me this started many years ago, and it scared the spit out of me!  Now I have become a person who leaves myself notes for just about everything.  I find when I am having an exaccerbation of CFS, the brain fog and memory glitches are worse.  So, yes--I think there is a connection.
  • Posted

Danny, for some reason my response dropped to the bottom of the page, and then a blank space, which I am now using, showed up again.  Scroll down and you'll find my comments.  

• Posted

HI Danny

It's part and parcel of the symptoms to expect. For me it's been the most frustrating as sometimes I can't remember an event that my partner said we attended or a song that I really like, let alone working productively. If the CFS is bad, the body, I believe reserves it's energy any way it can, and my theory is, memory is affected. When I'm feeling ok, this is less of a problem. Starting a new job became extremely stressful as remembering the basics was a struggle. Accepting this helps to make different choices I guess and have compassion for oursleves when we experience this symptom.

• Posted

Hi Danny,

Yep sure are symptoms. Quick google of symptoms of cfs/me will show you common things but also alot of people have pain. There's also separate condition that causes pain called fibromyalgia so check that out too.

Best wishes

Beverley

• Posted

hello Beverly - you are right about thefibro - I have both fibro andCFS/ME.  Aparently they are so closely intertwined and should be recognised as a co-morbidity.  I say so many times, if only the pain would go away so I can sleep! If i'm stressed it is as though someone turned my settings up to the max - i can tell you I can get really desperate when this happens. the doctors call this a FLARE UP and yep, its like being on a stove at the highest setting.  Oh yeah, and I also have dreadful hot flashes which are all stress related.  it's a b****dy vicious circle!

• Posted

Hi Peta,

I sleep ok until I'm cold then it's like I'm dead-I can't move and everything slows down, it's horrible. I slur and stagger like I'm drunk too., when I've done too much. It's such a strange condition and there's still personal differences with it. I have a question mark over fibromyalgia, to see a rheumatologist yet.

Hope your day's gone ok

Beverley

• Posted

I used to get the brain fog really bad, but have not had it for a while. How long have you had it?
    • Posted

Since the 6th of February when I stopped smoking that's when all my problems started.

I just cant think I fell confused half the time, I have improved but at its worst I can hardly figure out how to get dressed or wash up its debilitating I've just woke up and I'm so tired as usual and my shoulders and arms feel like lead and they are almost tingling hard to explain. I have tinnitus my nose is congested my neck is stiff I ache all over oh and I get head aches. The other day I had what felt like a trapped nerve in my hip could hardly walk and then it ust went after a day weird I don't know what's wrong and the doctor says its depression I don't believe it.

• Posted

Hello again - just saw your post 'and the doctor says its depression - my advice is change your doctor because he/she is so lazy in not exploring more about CFS and gaining some insight! GRRRRRRR!!!

• Posted

When I first got ME my doctor said it was depression and tried to get me to take Prozac but I refused. Peta's right, you need to find a doctor who is more understanding about ME. It took several doctor changes for me to find the one I have now; who's great!

• Posted

hello Danny - yes is the simple answer.  When I first felt unwell I noticed my memory was becoming impaired - I often had to search for the word i wanted and to be honest, did a self test online because i was really and i mean REALLY worried I was developing Alzheimers.  Thankfully it is not, it is a symptom of fibro and CFS.  There are so many symptoms too which accompany CFS and fibro - my speech has slowed down, and I often when im speaking it is as if I had the sentence in my mind, but it has been chopped up like ticker tape and I struggle to be coherent.  Add to this, my balance is dreadful and I often stagger about and im mortified because i look and sound like a drunk!  - really embarrassing!  The best advice I can offer is rest - do not try to struggle on or fight through it.  I can sleep the clock round, wake up get showered and dressed and am so tired I have to go lie down - before I fall down.  I have a kind of panic mantra - lie down!  lie down!  Lie down!  even if for only 10-20 minutes.  i feel like a puppet with no strings!  on a cheery note - and heaven knows we need a bit of humour - and support - this is a great forum because we are all in the same boat, and understand if you ever need to rant - do it here -we are with you, here for you and although we may be miles apart geographically, we share the same feelings.  Take care.  Peta
    • Posted

Thankyou that's so nice of you to say, its great to know there are people who can relate to my issues and what you aid about thinking you were developing Alzheimer is bag on how I've been feeling and it don't half scare me and ha being a trigger for many panic attacks I've been prescribed escitalopram 15mg which I've been taking for a few months which I have to say has cured my anxiety but that's as far as it goes it doesn't seem to be helping with anything else back at the doctors Thursday so I will have to see what je thinks. I do find it hard to push and disagree with him basically seen as he's the doc and all 😶😌 lol

• Posted

Well put Peta!  In fact your description of how your brain functions AND of having to rest from taking a shower AND of the lack of balance  you were so right on to describing my life!!!  And I must admit that it is a great comfort to know that I am not alone.  Last Feb. I  fell and caused myself a compound fracture.  Those around me were like, "Why did you fall?"  It didn't seem to make sense.  Well, if you are dizzy all the time and have no strength it makes sense!  On top of that I have a habit of closing my eyes all of the time.  Does anyone else do that?

• Posted

Hi dawn,

I inured myself also earlier this year and had no idea how it happened. I'm much more clumsy (? Not sure best word) drop things, walk into things,fall. All worse when not resting enough.

I close my eyes to help remember things when I'm struggling with words conversation.

Beverley

• Posted

Yes, sounds familiar.  I close my eyes to remember things and to rest (even though I'm walking).  I still have a child at home, so I cannot always rest maybe the way I should.

• Posted

Me too re children at home. I really believe if we were taken away for a month to do absolutely nothing fed well and gradually brought back up to speed, maybe we'd be ok. Actually, maybe 3 months : )

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.