Chronic Headache and Epilepsy

Posted , 5 users are following.

I have been treated for tension headaches and migraines since 2009. I have tried antimigraines, analgesics, muscle relaxants, nonsteroidal-anti-inflammatory and steroids, ssnri antidepressants and obviously acetaminophen and aspirin. I have had Botox, never block injections and sphenocath. My MRI CT scan and blood work are all clean. I often have to go to the ER for pain. They give me Benadryl cocktail among other IV meds. They end with Diludid which helps but when is wears off the headache immediately comes back. Nothing has ever fully relieved my headache. I just got out of the hospital after 3 weeks. My neurologist is out of ideas. He referred me to Mayo and even they said there was nothing they could do. My neurologist is doing another round of Botox and referring me to a headache center. I have had Epilepsy since I was 13. I didn't know if that could possibly contribute? I would really appreciate any help or advice anyone has to offer.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi Samantha,

Sorry you are having so much trouble right now.

I would say that epilepsy is connected to your headaches as they are all related to the brain.

I have Botox too and find it helps me.  All my scans and blood tests were clear too, but still I suffer.  I get hemeiplegic migraine, which is like a stroke and cluster headache too.  I find that sumatriptan helps the clusters, but if I take too much they can trigger an HM,  I take pregabalin, flunarizine and verapamil too.

I hope I have been of some help Samantha.

Its always good to talk to fellow sufferers and we are all that on here.

Let us know how you get on and what works for you.

Best wishes and take care

• Posted

I can only assume they're related! That's the only option we haven't explored and it seems somewhat obvious to me. But the brain is so crazy you never know I suppose. I just googled those migraines those sound so scary! I'm sorry you have to go through that. I've taken verapamil and sumatriptan but those other two don't sound familiar. I'll definitely look into those. Thank you so much! It really does help. As much as I hate that you suffer too it is kind of nice to know I'm not alone and crazy.

• Posted

Hi Samantha, so sorry to hear about your headache problems. I am a cronic headache sufferer myself and I go to a pain and headache center where I live. I am presently taking Nortriptalyn, and I was also diagnosed with high blood pressure and take 10 mg daily of Norvasc. This combination has helped the pulsing migraines I used to get on the side of my head. But, I still get tension and stress headaches that do no respond to otc's. My neurologist gave me a Triptan medication which is specifically designed to treat migraine and cronic daily headaches fhat are bad. I stared with Relpax, and now I take Emerge (Naratriptan). Another well known triptan is Imatrex. These meds have given me my life back. Please talk to your doctor about Triptan meds. Eletriptan, Sumatriptan, Naratriptan. One of these could possibly help u. please keep me posted I hope I helped u.

• Posted

Gosh I am so sorry to hear that. Do you feel like the headache center was far more helpful than the neurologist? I have slightly more hope being referred to a headache center. It's super annoying because I feel like the blood pressure medicines help my throbbing headaches too but I have a low blood pressure so if I take too much it makes me pass out 🙄 So I've been on Relpax, Imitrex, Maxalt, and sumatriptan unfortunately but I will absolutely look into those other ones since they helped you so much!

• Posted

Have you ever tried acupuncture? Saleen tissue injections? Might be worth a shot could just be pressure on the nerves somewhere in the neck that an mri is not picking up if no dye was used.
  • Posted

Have you ever tried acupuncture? Saleen soft tissue injections? Maybe the mri isn't picking up nerve damage if no dye was used.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.