Chronic Headaches for Years?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hey all. Basically I am unsure as to if I suffer from Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (now) or just an overall headache issue. Around 2.5 years ago, I got the flu and was left with HORRID fatigue that never got better up until now. But, the fatigue and other symptoms associated with CFS gradually improved, and I have learned to deal with it currently. My headaches have been bad since 3 years ago when this all began, but now I would say it is my worst symptom. Unlike many CFS sufferers, exersize makes me feel way better. I have no brain fog, soar throats, soreness, Post exertional malaise, nada. But, I still suffer intensely from horrrible exhaustion and the worst, HEADACHES.

Lets forget the fatigue part for a second. Usually, I will wake up with a simple tension headache in my neck area. I will continue my day, sometimes taking advil in the morning. As the day progresses the headache gets worse. It moves from the neck to my temples, to the front of my head, and then back to my neck area. Lately (the last month), tylenol/advil have not helped me much at all. I do not get migraines, but my headaches feel like they are SO CLOSE to becoming migraines, but do not. What has helped me a little and also sometimes made things worse, is marijuana use. 

I also get a bit nauseous from my headaches. I am starting to wonder this: Am i slowly recovering from CFS, am I backtracking, OR are the constant headaches causing me to be more tired than normal?

Lastly, I know that headaches are a major symptom of CFS, but to be honest, I suffer from only really headaches and fatigue, maybe one is causing the other? 

Thanks all!

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

As you have a headache on waking, and it's in your neck area, look at how you're sleeping. I can sleep with only one pillow and I use a flat, memory foam one with a raied neck support along each edge. I bought it at the chiropractors and it was expensive at £50 . Try sleeping with just one pillow and try to place it so it supports your neck too. If you sleep on your side pull the pillow down so it's touching your shoulder.

if I fall asleep with just one extra pillow, even a very thin one I have, my neck and head hurt the next morning.

• Posted

I don't think it's a pillow issue unless you changed it around the time you started getting the headaches. It doesn't sound like we have the same issue, but I have fibromyalgia along with a neuralgic headache that literally hasn't gone away in 12 years. After being misdiagnosed for so long, I'm just learning recently that it's an occipital headache caused by the nerves in my upper neck. It's horrible and makes my life really debilitating. It affects ears, nose and eyes. Do you feel tingling in your head and face along with the pressure. Does it alternate between stabbing, shooting etc?

What helps me a tadbit is using muscle creams and rolls on my top neck, behind ears and some on the lower part of my skull (I have short hair). The coolness seems to radiate to the front which is soothing. Also, I'm taking all kinds of supplements and I suggest you try that. In my case I would eventually have to get shots where the bad nerves are.

• Posted

Yikes, I don't feel mine is that bad. For example, when I wrote this a couple days ago my headache was so terrible I just rested in a dark room for two days. Since then, my headaches have not been too awful. Just throbbing in my temples and back of the head but not debilitating- went to the gym 3 days in a row, the mall, restaurants, and the pet store. I would never classify my headaches as shooting or stabbing, just headaches that hurtand throb. Supplements, I went away for two days and skipped my supplements and surprisingly, that's when the bad headache started up. Maybe that's why sometimes they are worse than other days.

Still, I have them every day, small or large. It doesn't help that I always think about them by putting my fingers to feel my pulse around my head which just makes me more anxious about them. But, usually, 75% of the time I can watch tv, listen to music, and have no issue around light. I just have to make sure nothing is too bright or too loud, but I would say I feel the need to take Tylenol twice a week at least.

• Posted

Ok, good thing they don't hold you back from your daily routine. Just watch for whether it gets any worse. What are the supplements you are taking? I would say B12 and magnesium malate are two of the most important for the headache you are experiencing. Add Alpha-lipoic acid if those 2 don't do it. I've been learning what works and doesn't work for me for almost half my life and I'm still not out of the woods.
    • Posted

B12, fish oil, magnesium pill, multi vitamin, vitamin c. That's all, I'll try those out though!
    • Posted

That's pretty good. What's the B12 dosage you are taking?. Less than 5000mcg lozenge doesn't do much for me. You might also be interested in trying Colostrum. I noticed a little difference in my FMS symptoms when I started taking it. I guess it does something to the immune system which is deficient in people with FMS and perhaps CFS. Another supplement which might sound crazy to you is Baking Soda (1/2 tsp in a glass of water everyday). I don't know on what level it worked for me but it did seem to reduce some of the tightness and relieve some of the dry mouth, runny nose that comes along with FMS. I tried it when I was desperate to try anything new and it paid off for me.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.