Chronic hyperventilation syndrome..here we go again

Posted , 34 users are following.

Jesus. I can't take this. The dizziness inability to concentrate, weakness. The fact that's it's all in my head and other people have suffered years with it, I can't do that. I can't imagine a prolonged life this way, it's making me severely depressed to the point of tears. Does anyone else suffer from this? I've had it before and beat it for years, got it again beat it again..this time however seems like forever. The hopefulness of wanting to beat it isn't there. I go to the gym, I'm physically active, I run my own business and now I am reduced to this again. It all started when I got home from vacation, I got sick had to go on a Zpak and was bed ridden for 5 days.. The anxiety and panic started and it's morphed into several things, full blown panic that's subsided (for now) depersonalization (faded somewhat) and now the hyperventilation a day everyday. I see a CBT therapist once and awhile, I started 3 years ago when I had my last big break down...she helped but I feel like also what can be done NOW? Like is there a distraction out there I haven't tried? I have not taken meds as I'm pretty stubborn I feel like if they don't work I'll just go off the deep end. I don't know, it's summer and I just want my life back. I've beaten this before for years but this time it feels like my life is over. The only peace I get is the wee minutes before going to sleep because I know it's all going to stop until I wake up again. Man this sucks.

6 likes, 72 replies

72 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Anxiety and the mind are very powerful. I too am in constant battle with both ...everyday....my doc wants me back on AD again which I'm hesitant. I do however take clonazepam when needed to calm me down during a bad attack. I've been off work since Jan 1st and find it very difficult to live each day....I'm sorry you are going thru this as well. Hoping one day we can be rid of this and live normal lives....
    • Posted

It's like..I refuse to believe this is my life, yet here I am. How do you cope? What are your symptoms?
    • Posted

I posted my story weeks ago.. under phobia....or I guess u can search my name. If you're interested to read.

I don't really cope... I'm suffering like everyone else. This has knocked me off my feet. I am such a career driven...Loving life kind of person. ..and now I've become nothing....ands a single mother it's been so difficult. Idk what to do....

• Posted

Same here Sandy I have my dream job in an entertainment field where my personality and creativity is everything but I can't even think anymore and I'm very afraid of what's going to happen
    • Posted

😔 I completely understand. This has always been a battle of mine....however it's gotten to the point where it's controlling me and preventing me from living a happy life....it's so debilitating!!! Ugh
    • Posted

I feel like though we have to get a point where we say F U I'm not letting you control my damn life
    • Posted

I know but easier said than done. If I could I would....I'm sure you and everyone else would too. Mental illness is beyond awful....this is torture....feeling like a victim in ur own body....
  • Posted

I'm the same...it's the hyperventilating that freaks me out then I get chest pains and dizzy. I feel life at the min is a nightmare. U open ur eyes and think please no not again 😵 I've had this for 27 years with the odd break but stress sets it off big style and three years ago I was planning my wedding and had my son and pregnant girlfriend here and the stress had a really bad effect on me. Worst I've ever been and even though things in my life are great my anxiety is horrendous. I'm having nlp and hypnosis. She's trying to break my thought patterns but I need a few more sessions before I know if it's worked. I've tried everything else and they don't work personally for me. Same with meds. Oh and I drink tons so keep having to reign that in and stop altogether.
    • Posted

Hi Paula so sorry to hear you're suffering as well. You self medicate with the alcohol? Do you think maybe that's why you have not had such success? As its a depressant and anxiety and that go hand in hand?. I've had very bright beautiful periods of life where I didn't have life controlling anxiety. It's always there..but I controlled it. No meds, just distractions and exercise. Does the drinking help? I will take ANY symptom over the breathing. Thing is it's subtle and I'm just dizzy and can't concentrate all day.. And I just want to badly to enjoy my life. I feel ok if I lay in bed with distractions..but no way in hell am I going to reduce myself to that. I want to fight but I feel so hopeless.
    • Posted

You know sometimes I feel that just talking about it verbally helps it's almost like declunking The brain and I realize how foolish all of this really is I mean it's really all in our heads but the thing is is like I have obsessive thoughts about breathing and I don't know how to make those stop that's the only thing that stands between me and happiness is a stupid hyperventilating
    • Posted

I know it's in our heads BUT its real enough for me to attempt suicide. We berate ourselves don't we but it's awful. I didn't really drink years ago it's only been the last few years it's became a problem as it just wore me down. I've lost my job and can't go out much. The first drink eases it but please don't go there as I def think it exacerbates everything. I wish I'd managed without. U sound positive still though and I think u can beat this again 😊
    • Posted

Have you tried other medications Paula? I guess if you think of it, the alcohol effects the brain in a way maybe a medication can that will ease you. I'm sorry to hear about the suicide, I think about it a lot too..I wouldn't ever do it as I'd just go into a drugged up stupor before taking my life I think..but you ever fantasize like wow..I could just do it and all this pain would be over. How magical lol
    • Posted

I know. Would be Heaven lol.Tried loads of meds and only one called dutonin helped me yrs ago but they stopped producing it as was causing liver failure. Typical!
    • Posted

I just ordered some bulk Kava root for making tea, apparently it's natural, had studies backing it and helps. Did that med help you with the breathing anxiety? I have Klonopin..and it ha worked on panic before I just don't want to take it.. afraid it won't work this time or with breathing and I'll really go off the deep end lol
    • Posted

Yes it was amazing.I was anxiety free. Which country are u in? Don't think they sell Kava in the UK? Or am I getting mixed up? Sure I've heard of it being used in NZ.
    • Posted

I am from the US, I think it's only banned in Germany? Could be wrong though.. And I know it's based on a study where entire plant was used or was taken with alcohol which is a no no with it
    • Posted

Yeah I tried to get from the health shop and it's banned. Be careful with the klonopin as well as its a benzodiazepine. I got hooked of diazepam and it was torture coming off them and I didn't take them continuously just for too many years 😬 not allowed any more. Benzos are super hard to get over here off the doc
    • Posted

True..but if you had to choose between this or being on a benzos for life..I dunno lol
    • Posted

When u take them like I did they don't work as well. When I went into hospital in Feb the doc was shocked and said I could sue my gp. If u take for longer than three days they send it anxiety through the roof. Mad isn't it? Supposed to bloody calm u down! I can't have any prn now and often need something. No drink now either but hope that's only a good thing 😜

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.