Chronic illness and employment

Posted , 4 users are following.

Firstly, apologises if this discussion is in the wrong place or it has been repeated, this is my first post so I am unsure on forum etiquette.

Hi, basically I`m looking for advice and a bit of hope. I`ve suffered with depression and anxiety for a large portion of my life now (I am 23) and had incredible luck in emerging from my first major depressive episode in my teens, in which I effectively dropped out of life and hid sheltered in my unstable safe place. With therapy I was able to overcome many of my problems and find good employment and an optimistic outlook for the future.

Sadly, a couple of months into work I started to get odd chest pains which turned into a diagnosis of Ulcerative Colitis and Primary Sclerosing Cholangitis, with another episode of depression following, and eventually Rheumatoid Arthritis being dicovered.

After recently being dismissed from work due to poor health I now struggle to see any kind of work that I could be manage. I`d love to hear any advice on finding suitable employment, and whether or not it is possible to sustain meaningful work for long periods. My main problems are fatigue, pain, discomfort, and insomnia.

All the best,

Pete

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

hELLO pETE,  i know it may sound silly, but have you asked at the jobcentre for "disabled" advice with a view to employment ??? Or perhaps your local CAB can help....An interesting post from you. If I think of anything cosmic, will come back with another reply. Just going to beat google to death, !!!

Regards, George.

• Posted

Hi Pete, just read your post and reply by George.  Both myself and my daughter suffer from relatively similar autoimmune conditions, this has led us both into difficult work situations, as whilst employment is so difficult to come by anyhow, persuading an employer to keep you on when you suffer in this way is virtually impossible.  Our solution was following the advice of someone in our support group to register ourselves as self employed and seek agency work.  This can be flexible to both parties and whether you are able to work for one week, one month or one year at a time doesn't really matter.  The big negative here is that this reduces your ability considerably to claim support from the Dept of work and pensions in later life unless you maintain a healthy national insurance contribution.  As George has said I would strongly suggest that you obtain information from the job centre, as whilst being absolutely useless at finding new employment, they are very keen to give you information to make you go away.  I hope this helps in some way.  I am 54 and my daughter is 24, we were in completely diverse occupations, but this has been a fairly successful route for us, even though I have now taken early retirement.
    • Posted

sTEVE, IT MADE ME CHUCKLE WHEN YOU WROTE, RE. THE jOBcENTRE :  "as whilst being absolutely useless at finding new employment, they are very keen to give you information to make you go away. ". hOPE pETE GETS THE INFO AND help he needS SOonest, REGARDS, gEORGE.
  • Posted

Thank you both for your supportive messages, they were very helpful. Will certainly look into both suggestions... Haha enjoyed the accurate description of the jobcentre :D

All the best,

Pete

• Posted

Interestingly the research shows that 46% percent of an autism group reported having relatives with rheumatoid (and coeliac) diseases, as compared to 26% of the controls.

• Posted

Peter

It can be very hard to find the right job for you.  If you're still unemployed, you might find it useful to look into life coaching.  There are a number of websites that may be helpful - a quick google search for self life coaching comes up with a number of sites linking to the wheel of life, and SMART goal setting - you may even enjoy the journey.

Also, in your early 20s you may also find the student room uk site helpful and be able to link up with other people facing challenges similar to your own.

• Posted

Pete, if you are in the UK, look into applying for PIP (Personal Independence Payments). This benefit is for people with disabilities - this includes medical conditions. Make sure you look at the supporting documentation when filling out the form, perhaps the Citizens Advice Bureau (CAB) can help. There is a good example of how to fill in the form from an ME sufferer's viewpoint but much of the information applies to anyone with a cronic health condition.
  • Posted

Hello Pete and everyone else.  George has a point, my condition (RPF) made me elligible for PIP, it is not means tested and you can still get it whilst you are working.  There are two components 'care' and 'mobility' which are assesed seperately, the application form is more complicated than Windows 10, but the  hospital department who trests you will have a Social Worker who will helpyou fill it out. I started on the lower rate and as my condition worsened moved to the higher rate when I had to retire, it doesn't affect any other benefit but parts of it are subject to income tax.  Higher rate mobility PIP gives free car tax too. Have a look here https://www.gov.uk/pip/overview . This also works very well alongside self employment which I posted an article on some time ago. Good luck.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.